Monitor Going To Sleep

Windows Vista Home Premium

I am Bryan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Monitor Going To Sleep
Hello moderator!

I've got a similar problem with a HP 2009m monitor as well. The monitor is attached to the desktop HP Pavilion p6107c. As far as the PC's specs go...ugh I couldn't tell you as it is a nice old ladies computer I am trying to repair. All she could tell me is that the OS is windows vista and by opening up the PC I can tell the graphics card is and internally built one right into the motherboard. Its unknown to me, as to its capabilities, except that it is a VGA hook up. She has the 4 ram slots 2 @ 2GB DDR2's and 2 @ 1GB DDR2's that are set up like so...XMM1 and 2 = 2GB ram sticks and the XMM3 and 4 have the 1GB sticks. This is all the info I can grab on it as the computer starts up within normal working parameters the tech beep codes are normal and the PC seems to be loading windows just fine. I have not tested it by ear yet though to hear if windows is in fact loading.

OK sorry to ramble here is whats up. PC turns on fine, however, monitor is not "detecting" the video. For some weird reason the auto detect will not pick up on her internal card and is stuck on trying to get a reading on DVI. From what I understand someone tried putting in a graphics card that was strictly DVI-I but didn't get an adapter for their VGA cord so they took it back out but not before already turning on the PC and after that they have lost the video.

What I have done to attempt to fix the issue: *switched out monitors
*re-seating or ram sticks *attempted to throw in another graphics card

I have a trick or two more up my sleeve but I am running out of ideas and I need a fresh brain to pick.

What I am trying next: putting the hp 2009m monitor on my own PC to see if it's the PC or the monitor itself. After that I will systematically check all her PC hardware from "top to bottom"

I am Bryan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Monitor Going To Sleep
Ok. I just ruled out that its the monitor and I was able to switch it from detecting DVI and set it back to VGA by using my PC. I now know that it is her PC as I hooked her monitor back up and it still cannot detect a signal from the PC. I am still a little frustrated with that as the new video card I put in when I first tested it did not catch a signal to the monitor either and I know its not a bad card because I am using it in my PC right now.

wither2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Monitor Going To Sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hi Pamela,

thanks for getting back to us

Good luck with the beast

regards

Steve
I have a problem that is similar but the system doesn't repeatedly go to sleep. Only the monitor won't wake up. I have a thread on this issue two weeks back. I found that there is a Microsoft hotfix KB953029 applicable if the problem occurs when you use either the Power button or a remote to wake up the system. However, this happens when I use the keyboard or mouse. In addition, you have to uninstall SP2 to apply the hotfix and it didn't fix my problem. Now I can't reinstall SP2 because of the 800ffff error and so far haven't been able to fix it using fixes provided on the microsoft website. I just wanted to point out the hotfix if someone has the problem under the conditions specified.

I wonder if the person who posted this thread has a resolution.

I am Bryan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Monitor Going To Sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by wither2 View Post
I have a problem that is similar but the system doesn't repeatedly go to sleep. Only the monitor won't wake up. I have a thread on this issue two weeks back. I found that there is a Microsoft hotfix KB953029 applicable if the problem occurs when you use either the Power button or a remote to wake up the system. However, this happens when I use the keyboard or mouse. In addition, you have to uninstall SP2 to apply the hotfix and it didn't fix my problem. Now I can't reinstall SP2 because of the 800ffff error and so far haven't been able to fix it using fixes provided on the microsoft website. I just wanted to point out the hotfix if someone has the problem under the conditions specified.

I wonder if the person who posted this thread has a resolution.
Ok sorry everyone that it took awhile to report my progress. I found the issue out with my monitor problem. Apparently, even though I did re-seat my ram sticks, I still had them in the wrong order (doh!). So I am good to go.

wither2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Monitor Going To Sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Bryan View Post
Ok sorry everyone that it took awhile to report my progress. I found the issue out with my monitor problem. Apparently, even though I did re-seat my ram sticks, I still had them in the wrong order (doh!). So I am good to go.
I found the cause of my problem. The monitor was going dead. It finally quit powering up without being connected to my computer. I borrowed another monitor and all is well except I can't reinstall SP2.