Reset Time Restrictions for Local Admin Account - Vista

Windows Vista Home Premium

AMendes is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reset Time Restrictions for Local Admin Account - Vista
I am using Vista Home Premium edition and my naughty Son (while I was away from the keyboard) has set the Time Limit Restrictions to Zero for the only Local Admin Account. As a result whenever I logon as myself (Local Administrator) the ERROR: "Account logon time restrictions violation" occurs.

How can I do the following:

1] Change this Time Restriction setting for the Local Admin Account
2] Access the Build-in Admin Account
Note: I cannot use the cmd.exe “Run As” Admin, I get the above ERROR

I am surprised the VISTA permitted the Zero Time Limit restrictions to be applied to the Local Admin Account and did not pick-up that the Local Admin Account will be locked out!

Please advise how I can rectify this problem.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi AMendes,

try this command from the command prompt, hopefully it will work without admin rights...replace LOGONNAME with the account name

Quote:
net user LOGONNAME /time:all
regards

Steve

AMendes is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for you prompt response Steve.

I tried the net user cmd and it requires Admin rights. The below error occurs:

---Quote---
System error 5 has occurred.
Access is denied.
---End Quote---

QUESTION:
1) Is there any way of activating the Built-in Admin Account without the Local Admin login?
2) Is there anything else that I can try, stop short of Reinstalling VISTA (Pls advise how I can Re-install)

Appreciate your guidance.

Regards
AMendes
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi AMendes,

this is an awqward one indeed....

In a command prompt, can only try an ordinary prompt... type the following to try and get the admin account to show...

enter LUSRMGR.MSC (the local user accounts manager)

Accept the UAC warning and continue
Double-click USERS
Double-click ADMINISTRATOR
Deselect ACCOUNT IS DISABLED

Another option may be to try and create another user in the accounts manager and put that user in the admin group and try log on as that new user and see how it goes...

Kids.. I still remind one of mine about the milk over the telly incident..

regards

Steve

RnB2000 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Reset Time Restrictions for Local Admin Account - Vista
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hi AMendes,

this is an awqward one indeed....

In a command prompt, can only try an ordinary prompt... type the following to try and get the admin account to show...

enter LUSRMGR.MSC (the local user accounts manager)

Accept the UAC warning and continue
Double-click USERS
Double-click ADMINISTRATOR
Deselect ACCOUNT IS DISABLED

Another option may be to try and create another user in the accounts manager and put that user in the admin group and try log on as that new user and see how it goes...

Kids.. I still remind one of mine about the milk over the telly incident..

regards

Steve

Hi just to let you know i had a similar problem with a time lock-out and tried all possilibities and failed but finally got free help from the tech guys at pc world

Last edited by RnB2000 : 11-10-2009 at 23:54. Reason: wrong page