Problem Discovered

Windows Vista Home Basic

Trebled is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problem Discovered
Hi to all: I recently discovered a problem and have been trying to find the solution to it. I admit I'm a dummy when it comes to navigating into the technical side of computers.

My problem is this: I accidentally deleted my shortcut to my Recyle Bin. I learned that if I could right click on my desktop, I could bring up a window, then left click on personalize, which would take me to another window and up in the left hand corner left click on 'change Icons'. When I left clicked on 'Change Icons', I got the following message: Windows Cannot Find (C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe) Make Sure You Have Spelled Correctly and Try Again. I found out later that not only has my Recycle Bin been affected by this but other things in my system, which keeps me from making minor changes.

Does anyone know what could have happened to cause this problem and if so, how can I fix it?

Trebled is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Problem Discovered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebled View Post
[...]

Hi, just wanted to give an update and thank all who viewed my post. I finally found a patch for my missing 'Recycle Bin' Icon. I went to 'Microsoft Fix It Center and they had a solution. I still have a problem making other changes to my desktop. I am continuing to get the following message: ' Windows Cannot Find (C:\Windows\System32\Rundll32.exe) make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.' If anyone knows how to remedy this problem please let my know. I thank-you in advance.

Trebled is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Problem Discovered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebled View Post
Hi, just wanted to give an update and thank all who viewed my post. I finally found a patch for my missing 'Recycle Bin' Icon. I went to 'Microsoft Fix It Center and they had a solution. I still have a problem making other changes to my desktop. I am continuing to get the following message: ' Windows Cannot Find (C:\Windows\System32\Rundll32.exe) make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.' If anyone knows how to remedy this problem please let my know. I thank-you in advance.

Hi to all, just wanted to give another update: I finally, after searching and searching, found the solution to my problem. I had some missing or corrupted registry files. "Windows Help" pointed me in the right direction. If any of you have the same issues, you can do the following: Click 'Start'.......'All Programs'........'Accessories'........right click 'Command Prompt'.......left click 'Run As Administrator' and type in the following: SFC /scannow

Your registry will be scanned and any repairs will be made and any missing files will be restored. Anyway in my case, it solved my problem.

Hope this helps someone. Good Luck.