Black screen and no device manager

Windows Vista Home Basic

jb52's Avatar

jb52 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Black screen and no device manager
I have a emachine running vista home basic I have 3 problems going on at one time.

1.When I log on as adminstrator the screen goes black and all I see is the cursor. I can go into task manager
and delete the explorer.exe and run it and windows load. How do I get a permanate fix?

2. I can't get to the internet. The icons for the internet has a red x and will not let me discover the network. Had uverse check the connections and they are okay. I cannot run my dvd or usb port to scan my computer

3. Device manage will not load. I just get the spinning hour glass and it says it's not responding. So I cannot check my devices. I can click on other apps on the machine without any problem.

I need help my grandkids want their internet and computer back
Smiling Carcass's Avatar

Location: UK
Smiling Carcass is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Black screen and no device manager
First thing is to run system file checker. Open a command prompt with administrative privileges (click run, type ‘cmd’ without the quotes and right click and choose ‘run as administrator). Then type at the prompt ‘sfc /scannow’, again without quotes and note the space between sfc and the forward slash. Press ‘enter’ to begin the check.

This will run a system file check where Windows checks all system files are original system files. If not it checks them against latest updates and replaces them as necessary. This can take 20 mins + to complete. Let it run.

Then open ‘computer’ and right click each drive, one at a time and open the properties tab. Under ‘error checking’ click ‘check now’

Make sure both check boxes are checked –

And click ‘start’.

You will likely get the following-

Click ‘schedule disk check’ and the next time you start your machine, Windows will check the disk for file errors and bad sectors and attempt repairs.

This too will take some time. Allow it to complete and with luck your issues will be resolved. If not, post back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smiling Carcass For This Useful Post: