Problems with "OPEN WITH"

Windows Vista Home Basic

MirandaOnABox's Avatar

Location: Connecticut
MirandaOnABox is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problems with "OPEN WITH"
So a while ago I caught a virus that pretended to be spy-wear. It was called Vista security 2010 or something like that. I have Norton, and after a while the virus was gone somehow, but it left me with an "OPEN WITH" problem.

Whenever I go to open a program, like I double click the shortcut icon on my desktop, the OPEN WITH panel pops up. If the program is Mozilla or like the Sims2 I can just select the program again and it will open (for Sims2 I have to select the launcher), but for things like iTunes I get an error message.
Things like MSPAINT and iTunes I have to select a file that opens in them to get the program up.

This has been annoying, but not a problem, until today. I tried to install a Sims2 expansion pack, and Autorun opens, but then I get an error message. I've been all through the files on the disk, but none of them open the installation program.

Now I'm wondering if there is any way to fix this problem with OPEN WITH.

TL;DR
When I try to open a program I get the OPEN WITH screen. Sometimes I can find the right way to open the program, sometimes I can't.

HELP PLEASE.
__________________
>:V
Fast-teks's Avatar

Fast-teks is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Problems with "OPEN WITH"
I've seen this several time with the Security Tool virus.

I've replaced the default registry entry each time and it works great.

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP

#12 is a link to her page. Simply select it and run it on your PC. It's tiny and just takes a second. Though these are originally from Windows xp I've used it several times on Vista. All it's really doing is telling the PC what to do with an exe file.

Here's a direct link...

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/exefix.reg

hope this helps
__________________
www.Fastteks-Arcadia.com

ribonzz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Problems with "OPEN WITH"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast-teks View Post
I've seen this several time with the Security Tool virus.

I've replaced the default registry entry each time and it works great.

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP

#12 is a link to her page. Simply select it and run it on your PC. It's tiny and just takes a second. Though these are originally from Windows xp I've used it several times on Vista. All it's really doing is telling the PC what to do with an exe file.

Here's a direct link...

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/exefix.reg

hope this helps
Well he already given the link i used too . It works !
Looking for books? Find it Here

Or you may like this better Here

yahir is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Problems with "OPEN WITH"
Did you ever do a system restore on your computer or recovery? try that it might help you.Y