Start Search Wont Open Up Cmd, Msconfig

Windows Vista Home Basic

marrittm is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Start Search Wont Open Up Cmd, Msconfig
hello first post here so appologies if in wrong place. my proble is every time i type something into start/search it keeps taking me to ''search results in indexed locations'' folder. no matter what i search for it just goes to this folder. please help its driving me nuts.
when i use the RUN comand with ''windows key + R'' it works fine, it use to work but has stopped for some reason, i have done virus scans and nothing found. please help?

Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tim_Tech_One is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Start Search Wont Open Up Cmd, Msconfig
Well.... first of all, lets get you a RUN option on that Startup menu.

Right Click anywhere on the taskbar where its blank.
Click Properties
Click Start Menu
Click Customize
Scroll down until you see the box next to Run Command
Check that box and click OK

Now you have the run command on your Start menu and you dont even have to use the search option.

marrittm is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Start Search Wont Open Up Cmd, Msconfig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tech_One View Post
Well.... first of all, lets get you a RUN option on that Startup menu.

Right Click anywhere on the taskbar where its blank.
Click Properties
Click Start Menu
Click Customize
Scroll down until you see the box next to Run Command
Check that box and click OK

Now you have the run command on your Start menu and you dont even have to use the search option.
thanx for that got run command now, but still very curious to how to get search working again but thanx for that.

Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tim_Tech_One is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Start Search Wont Open Up Cmd, Msconfig
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrittm View Post
thanx for that got run command now, but still very curious to how to get search working again but thanx for that.

Okay. I think I was going in the wrong direction with the last post.

Try this...

Click Start
Type anything into the search field. Doesnt matter what. We're just need the search window open. I typed in "stuff"

Now that the search window is open...
Click Search Tools
Click Search Options

Make each of the 3 tabs look like below-

General
(check)Show preview and filters
(check)Open each folder in the same window
(check)Double Click to open an item

View
Just Reset this folder by clicking "Reset Folder"

(check)In indexed locations, search filesnames and contents. In non-indexed..etc. etc.
(check)Include Subfolders
(check)Find partial matches

Leave everything else unchecked. If that looks like above, then you should be all good.

[...]

did all of above but still no joy it just keeps saying ''search failed to initialize'' and takes me to ''search results in tndexed locations''.

marrittm is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Start Search Wont Open Up Cmd, Msconfig
OK problem is know sorted it turned out to be service pack 2 causing the problem, i uninstalled service pack and all is back to how it was before. thank you to everyone who tried to sort this problem for me much appreciated

Last edited by marrittm : 11-01-2009 at 01:16.

Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tim_Tech_One is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Start Search Wont Open Up Cmd, Msconfig
Service pack 2 messed up my computer as well. I had to unistal it.
Thank You
Tim Platt | Data Concepts
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739
Vist Us at: www.DataConceptsCorp.com