Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Taskbar buttons

Windows Vista Home Basic

Speedup My PC
Old 09-28-2008

hscoville is on a distinguished road
Taskbar buttons
I have Windows Vista Home Basic installed on my laptop. Every time I boot it up, the taskbar buttons are on the right side of the taskbar all scrunched up. I know how to unlock the taskbar and move them back to the left side already, but it's annoying to have to do it every time I boot up my computer. Is there any way to make it my default to have the taskbar buttons on the left side of the taskbar? I've looked everywhere and scoured all of the help files to figure it out with no luck. Please tell me I'm not destined to have to move the buttons every time!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2008

oldpops is on a distinguished road
Re: Taskbar buttons
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscoville View Post
I have Windows Vista Home Basic installed on my laptop. Every time I boot it up, the taskbar buttons are on the right side of the taskbar all scrunched up. I know how to unlock the taskbar and move them back to the left side already, but it's annoying to have to do it every time I boot up my computer. Is there any way to make it my default to have the taskbar buttons on the left side of the taskbar? I've looked everywhere and scoured all of the help files to figure it out with no luck. Please tell me I'm not destined to have to move the buttons every time!
[IMG]mshelp://help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ShellExecuteTopicI con[/IMG]Click to open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.
If the Group similar taskbar buttons check box is selected, the buttons will automatically stack on top of each other. To turn off grouping, clear the Group similar taskbar buttons check box.
Old 09-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpops View Post
[IMG]mshelp://help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ShellExecuteTopicI con[/IMG]Click to open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.
If the Group similar taskbar buttons check box is selected, the buttons will automatically stack on top of each other. To turn off grouping, clear the Group similar taskbar buttons check box.
Thank you, but that wasn't my problem. My problem is that the taskbar buttons are on the right side of the taskbar at startup instead of on the left side of the bar. I would like to know how to make the buttons stay on the left side of the taskbar as the default setting.
Old 09-30-2008

DCL is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem. Look for a vertical bar just to the left of the open programs, click and drag it to the left.
Old 09-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL View Post
I had the same problem. Look for a vertical bar just to the left of the open programs, click and drag it to the left.
Thanks. I can do that, but my problem is that I have to do that every time I restart windows. My system defaults to have the taskbar buttons on the right side of the taskbar and the are very small buttons. I have to unlock the taskbar and drag them to the left every single time I restart windows. I was hoping someone could tell me how to make it default when windows starts to have the taskbar buttons on the left side of the taskbar.
Old 10-01-2008

DCL is on a distinguished road
If you right-click on the task bar,you can lock the taskbar after you make your changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to DCL For This Useful Post:
Steve (10-03-2008)
Old 10-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL View Post
If you right-click on the task bar,you can lock the taskbar after you make your changes.
Yes, I do that, but my problem is that every time I shut down my computer and restart it again, it is on the right side of the taskbar again even though I had moved it and relocked it the last time I booted up.

I need a way to change the default so I don't have to unlock the taskbar, move the buttons, and relock the taskbar every single time I start up my computer.
Old 11-13-2008

mikemac is on a distinguished road
Re: Taskbar buttons...Me too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscoville View Post
Yes, I do that, but my problem is that every time I shut down my computer and restart it again, it is on the right side of the taskbar again even though I had moved it and relocked it the last time I booted up.

I need a way to change the default so I don't have to unlock the taskbar, move the buttons, and relock the taskbar every single time I start up my computer.
I'm having the exact same problem - and it recently came up, probably over the last month or so. I assume it was from one of the Vista automatic updates (the most recent one from last night wouldn't let me get online). I can't find an answer, either; and don't know what update caused this.