Internet connected but can't browse after Windows update

Windows Vista Home Basic

bushid0 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Internet connected but can't browse after Windows update
Hi everyone, got a bit of an issue here.

I'll start from the begining.

I've got a laptop that I bought about 6 months ago with Windows Vista installed. I couldn't install windows updates until I found a fix for it today. The error code that came up was 8000FFFF. I had to delete values in the registry. Once I had done so I found I had 45 windows updates to install.

I've installed them all and now I can't browse the internet.

The two network screens in the bottom right hand corner are lit and the little globe is beside them but still I cannot browse the internet using either firefox or IE. When I try to let windows diagnose the problem it tells me there are no problems and that I am connected to the internet.

Oh and that is using both wireless and wired connection.

Any ideas? Please?

gdude2002 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it looks like the fault is with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) or your router (Presuming you're not just trying to connect through another PC).

You may want to try resetting your router (If you still have the settings that your ISP gave you) or talking to your ISP. It may aslo be worth the effort to reinstall your network adapters.

It is also worth noting that when I got Vista, I had to run Windows Update a few times to get the internet working properly.

bushid0 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheers for the reply gdude2002

I'm afraid it can't be my ISP or router settings because I've wiped the router and put all the settings back on. The laptop with vista on it is still not working but I am connected to the internet and typing this whilst on my primary (tower) PC, connected through the same router.
Another thing to note, I have tried manually setting the laptop network settings instead of using dhcp and still it doesn't work.

I will try running windows update again though to see if I can get it going.