Max volume level is lower in Vista than XP, any fix?

Windows Vista Home Basic

cam94z28 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Max volume level is lower in Vista than XP, any fix?
I recently upgraded to Vista, and noticed that the maximum volume level is about 30% less than on XP, with the same hardware. I am running a SB Audigy 2 ZS, and I'm using the default driver Vista installed for it. Is there any fix for this?

geerthibalaji is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi its the normal in vista, u go to controlpanel>Hardware sounds>sound, then select speakers, click properties, then select enhancement, it will show some options, check the loudness equalisation.. It ll help to increase some volume. But u cant get high volume as like other OS. Check it out..

cam94z28 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have the "Loudness Equalization" feature in control panel. All I have is a checkbox for "Enable Audio Enhancements". Disabling it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I think I'll just buy an spdif to PCM adapter, so I can use my home stereo with a digital PCM cable.

Last edited by cam94z28 : 07-14-2008 at 19:39.

geerthibalaji is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
r u using vista home basic? oh ok.. i m using laptop, so it ll mention the in built speakers, u check for the speaker properties in the audio driver installed, u cant get max as like other OS, i mentioned earlier... may i know wat type of driver u using for audio? Desktop?

cam94z28 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using Vista Basic, and the Vista drivers for Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. I'm running a AMD dual core desktop with Asus Motherboard.

geerthibalaji is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, can u find the sound properties? just open the installed audio drivers files in prgram files.. or search for it.. type sound in the <start search> bar.. then select playback in the title bar, it will show ur current speakers setup, then u can select n see the properties... there u can check loudness equalisation...

cam94z28 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope thats where I was before. Under Advanced, all I have is Signal Enhancements/Enable Audio Enhancements Checkbox. There is no additional tab where loudness EQ is. I guess it's possible I need to get actual drivers from creative, but they're not on their site. I'm just using whatever the default Vista installed for the Audigy 2. I just noticed and creative now does list an updated driver, as of Today! Hopefully it doesen't require the previous creative drivers to be installed. Will update how it works.

Last edited by cam94z28 : 07-17-2008 at 17:57.

cam94z28 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh Man! This post should be a sticky. I know a bunch of people use the Audigy 2. Compared to the default driver that Vista installs It's now NIGHT and DAY. I had resorted to using a headphone amplifier for my pc monitor because the volume was so low in Vista. I had to set it at around 80% gain, with windows volume at 100% to have barely adequate audio level. After installing the drivers, the amp gain is all the way down, windows volume is on 20%, and it's still louder than with both maxed out before. Theres no need for my amp any more.

Obviously Creative knew there was a problem, which is why they released a new driver. I think along with the volume, the sound quality has improved too.

cam94z28 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Delete me, double post.

Last edited by cam94z28 : 07-17-2008 at 19:43.