Restart problems...

Windows Vista Home Basic

nookbox is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Restart problems...
Hi all

I've been running vista no probs for a while, but have noticed recently that if I need to restart the machine for any reason, it shuts down fine, but stops on a black screen rather than coming back up again. I have to force it to turn off, and boot it back up again, and generaly everything is then fine.

I guess I could get along like this as it's not too much of a pain, but any suggestions on sorting this out would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

nookbox
Xenomorph's Avatar

Location: Haha, Nice try
Xenomorph will become famous soon enoughXenomorph will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first suggestion to you is that you defragment your hard drive.
You can also try using Memory Diagnostics Tool, which reboots your PC and starts automatically, before windows has even started. normally it takes up to 10-15 minutes, depending on how you've st it up.

1. Just search for MDT from the Start menu Search Bar.
2. Save all data and click on "Restart now and check for problems (recommended) "
3. Wait for it to finish and:

i) if the computer continues to windows immediately after the MDT is done, then you must reboot ASAP!
ii) If the computer reboots after MDT is done, then just wait until windows starts to see the report and you are on your way.
Nothing Like Having a Facehugger on Your Face
Burnett's Avatar

Burnett is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may have a similar problem. My laptop a Acer Travelmate 5310 crashed. When I restart I get a black screen, just the mouse pointer is visible. It crashed when I my Firefox crashed on one page audioScope and I turned of the NO Script java extension of Firefox.
After that I opened Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free edition but this time all the applications stopped responding so tried to open the task manager but everything failed.

Vista Basic just won't startup - I still have the black screen in front of me.
By the way I have just logged in on this board with my XP Professional Minitower Desktop PC.