My connection gets droppd every 4-5 hours

Windows Vista Home Basic

mbaron01 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My connection gets droppd every 4-5 hours
Hi I am new to Vista just bought a laptop and it works ok but every 4 to 5 hours it will lose connection and force me to reset the ip address to find my wireless network.. I don't know why it keeps doing this. I've googled and saw maybe the ipv6 was the problem so I disabled it but the problem continues.

Does anyone know what I can check? My other laptop(running xp) and desktop(running me) stay connected for however long I want but the new laptop no so I don't believe its my wireless modem....

Any help please?
Newbie

jonah is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi mbaron01,

try the following because your netowrk adapter may set to turn off after a period of time...

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , clicking
Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing
Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

2. Right-click the connection, and then click Properties. If
you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the
password or provide confirmation.

3. On the Networking tab, click Configure.

4. On the Power Management tab, clear the Allow the computer to
turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK.

mbaron01 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonah View Post
Hi mbaron01,

try the following because your netowrk adapter may set to turn off after a period of time...

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , clicking
Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing
Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

2. Right-click the connection, and then click Properties. If
you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the
password or provide confirmation.

3. On the Networking tab, click Configure.

4. On the Power Management tab, clear the Allow the computer to
turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK.

Do I have to reboot after doing this?
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi mbaron01,

you probably are better off rebooting. Then just go back and check that the option is still unticked.

regards

Steve