File permissions / locations [Resolved]

Windows Vista Home Basic

mchphoto is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
File permissions / locations [Resolved]
Hi
for some reasons I changed the permissions of a folder and all it's contents in error, so now I cannot view the contents in a normal browser, or via photoshop as I do not have the correct permissions or file location permissions, to access them. (they are all image file e.f. photos)

So I have tried a couple of things via the permissions options that I have - but to no avail, I have sort of found out that there are some external software programs that can easily sort this out, but as each one requires some sort of money before you can try them - I do not know which one to choose.

The file are on an external HD where there is only one set of folders that needs their permissions reset, I did try the file post "not having permission to view access the file location" but all the options within the compatability tab are greyed out - so hence I cannot do it this way -

Can some one please help me??

thanks

Michael
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Michael,

you need to take ownership back for the folders.

Download TakeControl from this posting ( [Rel] Take Control b2 - WinMatrix ) and add the folder and away you go,

Let us know how you get on,

regards

Steve

mchphoto is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thnks steve it works but only to a point (some files open when I ran it in the fist place,and some after do not want to open), I can now see an image in the folder where as it was just a jpeg logo , but when I double click it to open the file in Photo gallery it comes up with the following error "photo gallery cant open the picture because you do not have permission to access the file location"

Any clues??

Thanks

Michael
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Michael,

it looks like you may have to put every file you require access to into the TakeControl software. I thought only putting the folder in would do it,

regards

Steve

mchphoto is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
i have done that to every file on the external drive - no joy, it seems I have done something really wrong with these file permissions.

is there anything else I can try?

thanks

Michael
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Michael,

have a look at this tutorial on the many ways possible to take ownership of the files... Take Ownership of file - Vista Forums

If you still have problems get back to me and we will try other solutions,

regards

Steve

mchphoto is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Steve
have tried the above, but I seem to need the file location permission as per my previous post. Also in some folders I cannot see the image just a windows icon of a jpeg image, but these are the ones I have the problems with.

I have also tried to change permissions / via the security tab in the properties filed of selected photos but this did not work.

Any other ideas?, as I am sure some how it's to do with the location e.g. as it is an extenal drive it could be H, G or other drive name, as it does depend on what I have plugged into the USB port - but I have tried different sequences but all have the same effect - e.g. no access.

Regards
Michael
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Michael,

right then, lets try and boot the PC with a Recovery utility called BartPE. I have used this to recover files from protected folders in XP. I have not used it on Vista yet and also I have not tried it with External Drives.

The BartPE website is here... Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD and there is a tutorial on Youtube..
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

If you have any problems with BartPE get back to me,

regards

Steve

mchphoto is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Steve
I have only jjst got round to looking at this, however I am not sure how this can help me, I have looked at the utube video and I am now even more confused than I was before, so the simple question is why do I need to make a bart pe disk?

thanks

Michael
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Michael,

the BartPE disk will allow you to boot up from outside Vista.

You will be able to see all your files and folders.

You can then copy them to say a USB Memory key.

Then restart Vista and copy the files and folders over to a new folder with correct permissions, verify, and delete your old folder.

I know it is long winded but it is the only other thing I can think of

I have used this to get files back from a PC that the administrator had forgotten the password... mind you it was an XP PC but I see no difference here...

regards

Steve