Backup generates error 0x80070057

Windows Vista General

Newbie

Richardxxx is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backup generates error 0x80070057
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate and trying to backup to a USB hard Drive.

i am able to create a complete PC backup and restor image of the entire computer.

I am not able to "create backup copies of files and folders" should I try to I get the error message as follows:

QUOTE

The backup Application could not start due to an internal error

The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

Please check your system configuration and try again

UNQUOTE

If I try to "Change Backup Settings" I get exactly the same error message.

Originally I was able to backup using the Automatic File backup - I haven't been able to for about a 6 weeks. I have reformatted the external drive in case there wasn't enough space on it. Still getting the same errors though!

I would be very, very grateful for any advice

Many thanks
Richard
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Richard,

Hope this helps.

from Microsoft. The Filing Cabinet : Common causes and solutions to Backup, System Restore, and Complete PC Backup problems

Quote:
0x80070057 - This error is caused by a bug in File Backup where if you don't back up at least one file during the full backup, every backup after that fails. The workaround is to go through the Backup wizard again and choose a new full file backup at the very end.
regards

Steve
Newbie

Richardxxx is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Steve - i wish it were as simple as that - I can't get into the backup wizard - when I try I get the error message as detailed in my original post..... I did try doing a full backup using the second option in "Backup and Restore Centre" and that worked OK but had no effect on the first option - "back Up Files" neither can I "Change Settings"

Thanks again and any ideas?

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Richard,

If you cant get into Backup Wizard, other than doing a System Repair, then maybe try the following,

Installing Windows XP Ntbackup on Windows Vista

regards

Steve
Newbie

Richardxxx is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Steve - as you will see from my original post I can do complete backups - and also GoodSync ( GoodSync: File Synchronization, Backup, Data Replication, PC Sync Software, File Sync, Data Synchronization Software) which I use for syncing between laptop and PC - so the problem is not being unable to backup - it's being unable to use automatic backup! The problem as detailed in my original post.

But thank you for your help

all the best

Richard
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Richard,

I would try the Vista Repair. If your auto backup did work and now you cant get into the wizard then there may be a corrupt file somewhere on the system.

regards

Steve

mmg1818 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Backup generates error 0x80070057
WMwareWindows Vista

http://i35.tinypic.com/2yucze8.jpg

greentech07 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Backup generates error 0x80070057
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmg1818 View Post
1. Rename “SoftwareDistribution” Folder

2. Repair the Registry with reginout cleaner

3. Set up a New Profile

4. Increase the Size of Virtual Memory

5. Free Up the Disk Space
The Following User Says Thank You to greentech07 For This Useful Post: