Desktop Folder in Contacts Folder

Windows Vista General

dingdong is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Desktop Folder in Contacts Folder
I opened my contacts folder and found this.

Whats it doing there? When I tried to delete it all my icons disappeared - so put it back. Then tried to slide it to the desktop and same thing happened?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (41.8 KB, 2 views)

Someeejit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Folder in Contacts Folder
You may have accidentally moved the desktop folder into your contacts folder. It should be found in the 'danny' folder. Right click > cut the desktop folder. Paste it into the folder called 'Danny'

dingdong is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Folder in Contacts Folder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someeejit View Post
You may have accidentally moved the desktop folder into your contacts folder. It should be found in the 'danny' folder. Right click > cut the desktop folder. Paste it into the folder called 'Danny'
No, I have two - one in the contacts file and another under "danny"

and have a look at this when I am in my contacts file.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (59.7 KB, 2 views)

Someeejit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Folder in Contacts Folder
very strange.
and you say that your desktop items disappear if you delete one in the contacts folder. .. That implies that the one in 'danny' is empty and one of the desktop folders in the contacts folder is the one that should be moved into the 'danny' folder.
I would look through all those desktop folders to try to find the one that contains the files that exists on the desktop. I would move that one to the 'danny' folder and remove the rest.
Make sure you move the folder and not a shortcut to the folder.

dingdong is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Folder in Contacts Folder
I'm too scared to.

I went through the string you can see there in the snapshot and opened every desktop folder. The first one has all my desktop icons in but the ones in between are empty except the last one which has my icons in as well.

If i go to delete the empty ones then it comes up, there are items whos names are "too long for the recycle bin"

dingdong is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Folder in Contacts Folder
so I went to delete one of the dummy folders that had nothing in it but got this message;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (66.6 KB, 2 views)

Someeejit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Folder in Contacts Folder
What I would do is copy all of your desktop items and paste them in a new folder in the C drive.. just as a backup.
Then go ahead and permanently delete the folder you want to delete.

dingdong is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Folder in Contacts Folder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someeejit View Post
What I would do is copy all of your desktop items and paste them in a new folder in the C drive.. just as a backup.
Then go ahead and permanently delete the folder you want to delete.
Tried that but it wanted to copy all of the content of the icons as well.

Someeejit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Folder in Contacts Folder
ok that was a bad idea then.

What I would do is open up your contacts folder and your 'danny' username folder in separate windows.

Then drag the desktop folder (containing all the desktop folders and shortcuts) from the contacts folder to the user name folder.
Let's see if that works on your system .. no reason I can think why it should not.
So at least the desktop folder will be in the correct place ..

dingdong is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Folder in Contacts Folder
No.

That made my desktop icons dissappear and now i have a very large number of desktop folders so that i cant see the top and bottom in one view - see picture

HELP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (44.0 KB, 2 views)