Copy and Paste problem

Windows Vista General

harvb is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Copy and Paste problem
Hello

When I try to copy and paste a segment of text within a document, either by using Control c and control v or by clicking on File>Copy, moving the cursor and then File>Paste, a completely different segment of text from another of my files appears. It was a file that I'd worked on the day before and it's always the same piece of text that appears.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

harvb

CACS is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Copy and Paste problem
It sounds like you have stuff stuck on your clipboard that isn't getting cleared out. I would try re-booting the machine and see if that clears it up. Can you correctly cut and paste text from other documents and/or programs?

harvb is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Copy and Paste problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by CACS View Post
It sounds like you have stuff stuck on your clipboard that isn't getting cleared out. I would try re-booting the machine and see if that clears it up. Can you correctly cut and paste text from other documents and/or programs?
Thanks a lot CACS. The problem seemed to rectify itself, not sure how. But I'll act on your suggestion if it returns.
radjman's Avatar

radjman is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Copy and Paste problem
My keyboard has never had any problem cutting, pasting, or copying via CTRL+X, CTRL+C, and CTRL+V, nor my mouse through the right-click menu. Yet just last week, it stopped working!! I highlight text or a file, and use the keyboard, or right-click, and use the keyboard to paste, and nothing happens! I can also copy, and then right-click in the same window and cut, copy, and paste are all greyed out! This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I tried rebooting, restarting explorer.exe manually, to no avail. I would think this is a hardware problem, if it weren't happening via both keyboard and mouse. But here's the weird part: if you have two windows open, and right-click (holding right-click) on a file, and drag it to the second windows, the menu comes up saying move here or copy here, and that works. This problem is not limited to explorer. I've seen it on all applications now. I am trying to avoid stuff like reinstallation, as this is not the most severe problem I've ever encountered, just the weirdest. I am running Windows XP SP1, fully updated. I would really appreciate your input on either if anyone has ever seen this (as I have found no info on google searches), or maybe has some insight into this problem.

fillsmith is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Copy and Paste problem
Firstly check problem of cut and paste in notepad. If it works than there is no problems in OS. If it happens than reload whole os is the best option but firstly check your keyboard's driver also.