Make me faster

Windows Vista General

dingdong is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make me faster
My laptop has begun to play up and is getting me down - its slow to strat and slow to respond online.

is there a simple process i can do that will give me a little better speed if anything. disabling antivirus from emails etc is some of the things i have heard
i run a pretty minimal laptop with most rubbish deleted
cheers for any suggestions.....

iidesu is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Make me faster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
My laptop has begun to play up and is getting me down - its slow to strat and slow to respond online.

is there a simple process i can do that will give me a little better speed if anything. disabling antivirus from emails etc is some of the things i have heard
i run a pretty minimal laptop with most rubbish deleted
cheers for any suggestions.....
Given the lucid descriptions you offered, there's really little I can contribute to your troubleshooting.

dingdong is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Make me faster
i want to get the maximum out of my current internet configuration on my laptop before i go changing servers or devices

dingdong is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Make me faster
i have two laptops the same fitted with two identical internet keys from the same provider. my wife while sitting on the bed enjoys fast speeds and has no problems. I sit beside the bed at my desk and recieve very slow speeds and constant 'cant connect' messages.

she took my key and used it on hers with no problems either - me moving my laptop to the bed does nothing either.

Someeejit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Make me faster
... by internet key .. are you referring to the WIFI adapter? .. I think so .. anyway try updating the drivers for this device .. go to the manufacturer's website to find the latest driver.

Couple of other thoughts .. 1)malware infections can dramatically affect internet and computer speed
2) adding more RAM can dramatically speed up your computer if it is low on RAM

Someeejit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Make me faster
One more thing .. Which programs are starting on boot? . one or two might be slowing down your boot time. I suggest using Soluto to identify which startup items might be slowing down your boot time. Soluto

dingdong is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Make me faster
so here's the latest.

The same laptops in the same room with the same key (i dont know what u guys call them but we call them an internet key/stick/external modem which you plug into the side of your laptop).

My wifes computer is fast on the internet with the key. Plug the same key in my computer and its slow and sluggish - what is with that?

Someeejit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Make me faster
Your computer may be infected with spyware .. or maybe it is running too many programs and has a small amount of RAM .. or maybe you need to update the drivers for that device .. the wifi adapter .. the thing you are calling the key/stick

in addition you say your computer is slow to start .. I recommend installing Soluto ( soluto.com ) .. to identify which program is holding up the process

dingdong is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Make me faster
i've done several spyware checks and zilch - its not spyware.

if i use a friends modem then its fast, so i dont think its ram.

will try the Solouto - is it free and do u have a link and can it be successfully uninstalled after use?

Someeejit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Make me faster
Download Soluto at Soluto it's a great little program .. and can easily be uninstalled via control panel > uninstall programs

Separate to your bootup time problem, if your friend's wireless adapter solves your problem regarding Internet speed and reliability, and your wife's computer uses your adapter with no problems .. well that points to the driver on your computer for that device ... I recommend updating it. Even if you let windows search for it automatically first. right click on computer > Properties > device manager > Network adapters .. right click on the device choose: Update driver software