Possible fix for upgrade repair grayed out

Windows Vista General

ParrotSlave is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Possible fix for upgrade repair grayed out
I have several different images of my Vista Ultimate 64 "Not Responding" system, none without problems, taken over the last couple of years. System file checker always finds corrupted files, even if I run it several times consecutively. It is not a hardware problem because I have just upgraded to Win7, and SFC there has NEVER found one single "integrity violation." It has something to do with Vista. But I am still having to go back to my Vista, first just to clean the images up to reduce storage space, but also to try and get at least one of them running right and still have my apps on it. With some of my images, SFC can repair the problems, but even then, certain updates fail installation. I run the latest KB947821 religiously, and I have even started running fixits 50123 and 50202, and I finally bought Reimage, out of desperation. On one occasion, after running Reimage from both the admin and the user account, it actually fixed every single file, so that everything updated, and SFC, although it found problems, at least it could fix them. But doing the same thing to older images does not work. Since I have a "real" Windows, I have used MS's tech support, tried all of their suggestions, and, last year, they gave up and said to reinstall Windows, since the upgrade repair option when I try to run a repair install is grayed out. I have not tried uninstalling SP2, although that might allow the repair install to work. They said they will send me a complimentary SP2 Windows dvd to use to run the repair install, but I have not received it yet.

I did have the following bright idea, and I wonder if anyone has tried it. My images are all made with Ghost, which has "issues" in not seeing the external hard drives sometimes, etc., and I've discovered that WindowsImageBackup is just as bad about seeing your images. Life is never simple with those people; I liked the now-defunct (courtesy of Norton) Power Quest's Drive Image, where you could create an image and do whatever you wanted with it, move it elsewhere, and didn't have to worry about the program finding a "recovery point." I just bought Laplink's product because of its similarity, and it seems to give me the functionality I want. What I am excited about is the possibility of this: they have a free program that you can get if you buy their image program, called PCmover Image Assistant. What is exciting about it is that you can supposedly use it to migrate your applications to the same or newer operating system. What that means, I think, is that I can make an image of the crummy Vista, with all of my apps, then I can do a clean install of Vista, which is easy, and, without any apps on it, do all the Windows updates, and then I can use the PCmover program to migrate all my apps--but not the crummy corrupted system files--to my new, clean, hopefully perfect version of Vista. Has anyone ever tried this, and does it work?