Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista 32 bit had nervous breakdown

Windows Vista General

Speedup My PC
Old 11-24-2010

Simon Sudbury is on a distinguished road
Vista 32 bit had nervous breakdown
Hi to all

First post so will try to be brief. I dual boot Vista 32 and XP (Vista preinstalled) and have done so with no probs for about 4 weeks.

Last night I was using Vista and all hell broke loose. Couldnít run Word, couldnít run Outlook Express, and couldnít run anything apart from IE. Kept getting a variety of error messages from File System Error to ďThe expected attributes are inconsistentĒ!!

I restarted and then got Microsoft Synch centre was closed followed by Problem Reports and Solutions has stopped working. The net result was the same with nothing working aside from internet. Incidentally, XP works fine and dandy as usual.

Iíve googled and realise itís something to do with Third Party software, virus etc but the problem is that none of the solutions work. I canít run System Restore, msconfig or my virus and malware software (PC Tools).

Iím guessing itís to do with files and progs associated with my sonís Nintendo DS. Iíve been downloading games from his DS to the PC using a WIFI Engine etc etc. Somehow this process coupled with putting the files onto micro SDHC card has triggered the probs.

Thatís my diagnosis but I may be wrong. I hope itís not something related to dual boot as thatís been fantastic for a month and I love my XP.

The only thing I havenít tried is my Vista disk. I know thereís a repair element on that but thought that was just to restore boot etc.

Am desperate now so your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Simon
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2010

Simon Sudbury is on a distinguished road
Re: Vista 32 bit had nervous breakdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Sudbury View Post
Hi to all

First post so will try to be brief. I dual boot Vista 32 and XP (Vista preinstalled) and have done so with no probs for about 4 weeks.

Last night I was using Vista and all hell broke loose. Couldnít run Word, couldnít run Outlook Express, and couldnít run anything apart from IE. Kept getting a variety of error messages from File System Error to ďThe expected attributes are inconsistentĒ!!

I restarted and then got Microsoft Synch centre was closed followed by Problem Reports and Solutions has stopped working. The net result was the same with nothing working aside from internet. Incidentally, XP works fine and dandy as usual.

Iíve googled and realise itís something to do with Third Party software, virus etc but the problem is that none of the solutions work. I canít run System Restore, msconfig or my virus and malware software (PC Tools).

Iím guessing itís to do with files and progs associated with my sonís Nintendo DS. Iíve been downloading games from his DS to the PC using a WIFI Engine etc etc. Somehow this process coupled with putting the files onto micro SDHC card has triggered the probs.

Thatís my diagnosis but I may be wrong. I hope itís not something related to dual boot as thatís been fantastic for a month and I love my XP.

The only thing I havenít tried is my Vista disk. I know thereís a repair element on that but thought that was just to restore boot etc.

Am desperate now so your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Simon
Hi

Many thanks for your reply. Identified the prob as latest update of Spyware Doc whihc has "issues" with Vista. Initially tried various repair options in safe mode to no avail but then uninstalled the Spyware Doc and everything runs fine. Surprise surprise the prog runs perfectly well in XP!!

I understand that PC Tools have tweaked the update of Spyware Doc which I will now reinstall.

Thanks again

Simon