Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Explorer no longer showing MPEG- 2 thumbnails

Windows Vista General

Speedup My PC
Old 11-05-2010

wvg is on a distinguished road
Windows Explorer no longer showing MPEG- 2 thumbnails
After installing the latest batch of Microsoft Vista updates, (I have business version) none of my MPEG-2 videos created using Sony's Vegas no longer shows thumbnails in Windows Explorer. THEY DID previous and for years, now they don't. The videos themselves play fine.

I have added NO NEW applications, codec, changed nothing, deleted nothing expect for the latest batch of Vista updates. In spite of having over 50GB of free space on my C drive all my prior restore points are gone!

I've wasted hours trying to fix this, this the Registry hack, etc., deleted the suspect Vista updates and nothing works. I'm frustrated beyond belief.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2010

Brettray76 is on a distinguished road
Re: Windows Explorer no longer showing MPEG- 2 thumbnails
Mine is doing crazy things for about the last 3 days. It must be something Microsoft has done, because it to started after a update.
I have tried everything above and still no good. No anti virus running, delete accounts, etc., etc., etc. You have to put in your name and password every time you send or receive email.
Live mail won't install, it comes up with an error, it says disk is full or not enough memory.

It took every thing in me to not smash this thing on the floor and go get a new Mac. My old one got stepped on and broke. I went with windows for business reasons and have regretted it ever since. WINDOWS SUCKS! You have to be a computer expert just to keep it working.

Also every time I open IE it has 3 pop ups in a row saying it has to change my search provider, and of course it changes to Bing. It won't let you make any changes to anything.
It won't remember ANY passwords on anything, even when you select it to remember. I spend mor time now typing passwords than anything else.
It takes at least 15 min. and 10 try’s to connect to the internet.
It won't allow Firefox to run.
It won't allow some of my other non Microsoft programs to run either, like Open office. Then it recommends that I use Microsoft Word. Of course I only have the crap version that came with the computer. So it's like looking at the TV and trying to make changes on it. Totally worthless!
I downloaded all the Microsoft scanners, fixers, etc. but they say no problems found. I have spent at least 12 hours trying to get it back working. One more day like yesterday, spending over an hour trying to get something to print and this computer becomes a clay Pigeon.
If anyone can help and save me the $500 loss I would be forever in your debt. Well... I wouldn't really say “Forever” more like for a really, really long time.
Thanks.
Old 11-06-2010

azns13 is on a distinguished road
try this View .flv, .3gp and Other Video Thumbnails in Explorer - Tech Salsa

worked for my mp4 files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettray76 View Post
Mine is doing crazy things for about the last 3 days. It must be something Microsoft has done, because it to started after a update.
I have tried everything above and still no good. No anti virus running, delete accounts, etc., etc., etc. You have to put in your name and password every time you send or receive email.
Live mail won't install, it comes up with an error, it says disk is full or not enough memory.

It took every thing in me to not smash this thing on the floor and go get a new Mac. My old one got stepped on and broke. I went with windows for business reasons and have regretted it ever since. WINDOWS SUCKS! You have to be a computer expert just to keep it working.

Also every time I open IE it has 3 pop ups in a row saying it has to change my search provider, and of course it changes to Bing. It won't let you make any changes to anything.
It won't remember ANY passwords on anything, even when you select it to remember. I spend mor time now typing passwords than anything else.
It takes at least 15 min. and 10 try’s to connect to the internet.
It won't allow Firefox to run.
It won't allow some of my other non Microsoft programs to run either, like Open office. Then it recommends that I use Microsoft Word. Of course I only have the crap version that came with the computer. So it's like looking at the TV and trying to make changes on it. Totally worthless!
I downloaded all the Microsoft scanners, fixers, etc. but they say no problems found. I have spent at least 12 hours trying to get it back working. One more day like yesterday, spending over an hour trying to get something to print and this computer becomes a clay Pigeon.
If anyone can help and save me the $500 loss I would be forever in your debt. Well... I wouldn't really say “Forever” more like for a really, really long time.
Thanks.
Old 11-06-2010

wvg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettray76 View Post
Mine is doing crazy things for about the last 3 days. I downloaded all the Microsoft scanners, fixers, etc. but they say no .
Trying doing a system restore which should bring your system back to where it was working at some prior point.

Do this:

Start, Control Panel, Backup & Restore, Create Restore Point or change setting, (that's in left column) wait for list to generate, then finally pick a restore point at a date your computer was working. Many times this will fix problems.

I wish I could do that, but Windows ate all my old restore points for who knows what reason.