Can't rename or delete folder

Windows Vista General

hannu is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't rename or delete folder
Have this problem driving me nuts, if I need to rename or delete a folder it will not allow me to do that. the message is: "The cation can't be completed because the folder is open in another program. Close the folder and try again." I have no files open at all, I have closed a reopened Windows Explorer, still not working. so there is nothing open in that folder or any part of Explorer. this only started to appear recently. I searched the web for ansers but the only ones that I can find are something through command prompt, truly, that cannot be the solution for it!!!
I have not tried to rebooting, I should not have to do that to rename a folder.
Any solutions? I use my computer for business and this kind of childish problems cost me time money and nervers.

supaFlaj is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't rename or delete folder
Type: gpedit.msc in Start Search then go to:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer

Turn off the caching of thumbnails in Hidden thumbs.db files - Enable
__________________
http://www.windows-fix.it

hannu is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't rename or delete folder
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaFlaj View Post
Type: gpedit.msc in Start Search then go to:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer

Turn off the caching of thumbnails in Hidden thumbs.db files - Enable
Thanks for reply, however I cannnot make this work. I have Vista which when typing "gpedit...." goes and looks for files of that name and says there are no files. then I tried to look for User Configs from Control Panel, there isn't one, no Administrative templates that I can find, so I am lost. any other advice... buy an Apple? maybe not. This problem is hindering many functions I believe, I tried to import addresses to Outlook from txt file, it says that the file is open and can't do it. the txt file is not open so I guess this is also result of the problem vith Vista settings. Rebooting helps sometimes but I don't want to reboot every time I need to do something.

dlantrip is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't rename or delete folder
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannu View Post
Thanks for reply, however I cannnot make this work. I have Vista which when typing "gpedit...." goes and looks for files of that name and says there are no files. then I tried to look for User Configs from Control Panel, there isn't one, no Administrative templates that I can find, so I am lost. any other advice... buy an Apple? maybe not. This problem is hindering many functions I believe, I tried to import addresses to Outlook from txt file, it says that the file is open and can't do it. the txt file is not open so I guess this is also result of the problem vith Vista settings. Rebooting helps sometimes but I don't want to reboot every time I need to do something.
I have a similar problem in Vista Ultimate where I can't rename some folders. I've followed this suggestion, unchecked the Read Only status at all levels in /documents directory, ensured my account has Full privileges, etc. It seems no matter what I do, the system both displays these folders with a filled in Read Only check box and prevents me from renaming. Any other suggestions?

hannu is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't rename or delete folder
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlantrip View Post
I have a similar problem in Vista Ultimate where I can't rename some folders. I've followed this suggestion, unchecked the Read Only status at all levels in /documents directory, ensured my account has Full privileges, etc. It seems no matter what I do, the system both displays these folders with a filled in Read Only check box and prevents me from renaming. Any other suggestions?
There is a fix: get rid of Vista. I have updated to Win7 and many annoying problems have gone plus my machine works faster.

DuglasBaydig is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't rename or delete folder
I have been suffering from accessing, managing and even renaming files that have more than 255 characters over a long time. I have tried various ways but failed. Then I

have searched this problem in internet. Then I have found a solution. This software is very easy to use. Named Long path Tool. To use the program all you need to do is to

download this program online and save all the settings to your computer. This program is compatible with Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7. you can find it

from longpathtool(dot)com

longpathtool.com

caldirun is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't rename or delete folder
Download a free program called Lockhunter, it will tell you what program is blocking the folder/file and allow you to modify or delete it.
Jsh80st

Re: Can't rename or delete folder
Great forum, I like to solve many problemshttp://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...rsion=20070822
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...39;s Day Gifts