Can't Change Desktop Backgound (Vista)

Windows Vista General

HelpMeWithVista is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't Change Desktop Backgound (Vista)
Hello,

I got a rootkit virus a few days abo but I'm pretty sure I removed it now.
Ever since then I'm not able to change my desktop background, it just stays black. I looked EVERYWHERE for this and couldn't find anything. Also, if there is like a file on the desktop and i delete it and the box pops up usually it has like a preview of the thing your deleting but all mine has is a black square. I am able to change the color of the background but I just can't put any pictures on it. If I go online and find a picture and right click and set as background then it changes. But I can't put any personal pictures up. Please help me.

Thanks,

donald1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Can't Change Desktop Backgound (Vista)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeWithVista View Post
Hello,

I got a rootkit virus a few days abo but I'm pretty sure I removed it now.
Ever since then I'm not able to change my desktop background, it just stays black. I looked EVERYWHERE for this and couldn't find anything. Also, if there is like a file on the desktop and i delete it and the box pops up usually it has like a preview of the thing your deleting but all mine has is a black square. I am able to change the color of the background but I just can't put any pictures on it. If I go online and find a picture and right click and set as background then it changes. But I can't put any personal pictures up. Please help me.

Thanks,
i hope it will work
Click Start
Click Run
Type: regedit
Navigate to the following registry entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System

"Wallpaper"=SZ:C:\WINDOWS\desktop.html (yours might be slightly different)
Click one time on the entry
Push Delete on the keyboard
Click Yes
Close the Registry editor

thank you.
__________________
IT Disaster Recovery UK

hannu is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't Change Desktop Backgound (Vista)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeWithVista View Post
Hello,

I got a rootkit virus a few days abo but I'm pretty sure I removed it now.
Ever since then I'm not able to change my desktop background, it just stays black. I looked EVERYWHERE for this and couldn't find anything. Also, if there is like a file on the desktop and i delete it and the box pops up usually it has like a preview of the thing your deleting but all mine has is a black square. I am able to change the color of the background but I just can't put any pictures on it. If I go online and find a picture and right click and set as background then it changes. But I can't put any personal pictures up. Please help me.

Thanks,
I am not an expert in fixing this kind of errors but it does appear that the virus has damaged some files. I have found that Vista often fixes its own problems in few days time. Have you tried the normal "optimisation tools" like error check and sometimes defrag helps. Do you have a proper system security program like AVG or Trend etc.?