wmv Files won't run on Windows Media Player

Windows Vista General

Location: Beacon, NY
keith.milkove is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wmv Files won't run on Windows Media Player
I have an problem with my Media Players. Both Windows Media Player (WMP) and Quicktime Player will not run wmv files. I get error message C00D11D2. I can still play audio files and DVD's. Here is some background information. Last week, my laptop was hit by a virus called Antispyware Soft. The virus infection has been removed from my computer. I believe the virus may have corrupted some of my files, but I'm not certain. In removing the virus, I may have created some additional problems. For instance, I may have altered a file called ntuser.dat.LOG1 . I also accidentally hid some files which among other things affected the behavior of my Quick Launch on the task bar (I have fixed this problem). I am using Version 11 of WMP and I did my best to update it with the latest release. I also found a program that verified all my codecs are properly installed. Now, here's the odd stuff. Yesterday, I created a Guest user account. During the setup of this account, Windows Media Player popped up and asked for initialization input. I accepted all the recommended responses. The media player is able to play wmv files in the Guest Account, but not in my personal account. Does anyone have suggestions on how to attack my problem?

supaFlaj is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: wmv Files won't run on Windows Media Player
As you mentioned the WMP files can be played in Guest account, meaning that your account is dameged from the infection. Try the below solution:

C00D11D2: Cannot access the file WMP Solutions

If it doesnt work, try regstering WMP files:

Go to Start -> Run, type in

cmd

Press enter.

Type in

sfc /scannow

Press enter and wait for that to run through (may take some time),
noting down any error messages displayed on some paper or summat.

Now type in the following, press enter after each line and wait for
confirmation :

regsvr32 wmp.dll
regsvr32 wmpasf.dll
regsvr32 wmpcore.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Creating new account and moving all your settings and data is a possible solution too.
__________________
http://www.windows-fix.it

Location: Beacon, NY
keith.milkove is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: wmv Files won't run on Windows Media Player
Hi supaFlaj,

Thank you for responding to my Windows Media Player posting. I followed your advice and here is what I found. I first reviewed all the suggested checks provided for the C00D11D2 WMP error code. None of these suggestions helped my identify my problem. I then ran the System Scan command in a DOS window. The Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. I then attempted to re-register the list of dynamic link libraries you provided. I did so using a DOS window as an administrator. Two of the 5 dll files failed to load. The two failed files were wmpasf.dll and wmpcore.dll. I got the same type of error message for both failures. I did a search for these two files on my hard drive and could not locate them. The error message I got was: 'The module "NameOfFile" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. The specified module could not be found.' Can you please advise me as to what I should do next? I find this situation rather peculiar since I am able to play wmv files on Windows Media Player using my Guest Account, but am unable to do so with my personal account. Shouldn't the windows media player fail to work in the Guest Account if these dynamic link library modules are really missing?

Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,
Keith

Location: Beacon, NY
keith.milkove is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: wmv Files won't run on Windows Media Player
I succeeded in resolving my Windows Media Player problem with the able assistance of my son. In one of my ealier postings I made note of several problems that existed on my laptop. Among them was my accidental use of a command that caused most, if not all, of the folders and files contained in the AppData folder of my personal account to become hidden. I should point out that my personal account is also the admistrator account on my computer. I also noted in an earlier posting that when I created a new user account on my computer, Windows Media Player and Quicktime Player would work in the new user account, but not in my personal account. Well, today I carefully compared the hidden attribute for like named folders and files contained in the new user account I created a few days ago and my personal account which exhibits the problem with Windows Media Player. I then proceeded to unhide all files and folders in my personal account to match up with like named files and folders in my new user account. After matching up all these files and folders I tried to run Windows Media Player and it worked!!! So, it appears that for some odd reason a hidden file or folder is able to prevent Windows Media Player from having permission to access them. Doesn't this behavior seem weird? Can anyone offer an explanation? Is this problem obvious to anyone, or should MicroSoft be made aware of this behavior so that they can look into what's going on?