Windows cannot update Error Code 80096001

Windows Vista General

obuhosky is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows cannot update Error Code 80096001
Windows cannot update Error Code 80096001

I have been unable to update Vista for many months. When I do I receive the above error. I have run RegCure and tried to clean up Windows Installer but to no avail.

I have tried to reinstall Windows Installer and get Not Enough Mem errors, although I have plenty of memory...

I believe somehow my installer is corrupted since I cannot update or install anything downloaded.

Any advice on how I can fix a corrupted installer???

Thanks all! Meg Obuhosky

hiawatha is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows cannot update Error Code 80096001
Quote:
Originally Posted by obuhosky View Post
Windows cannot update Error Code 80096001

I have been unable to update Vista for many months. When I do I receive the above error. I have run RegCure and tried to clean up Windows Installer but to no avail.

I have tried to reinstall Windows Installer and get Not Enough Mem errors, although I have plenty of memory...

I believe somehow my installer is corrupted since I cannot update or install anything downloaded.

Any advice on how I can fix a corrupted installer???

Thanks all! Meg Obuhosky
Hi Meg,
I get a similar problem, error code 8007064A "Windows Update encountered an unknown error". I too think it's something to do with Installer - I tried to reinstall it from the MS site, but get a message with words to the effect of 'this software is not appropriate for your computer'. At about the same time as this started, I also lost the help facility for all MS Office applications - if I click on Help, then it tries to start configuring the application, and effectively locks it with no apparent progress. I can't help feeling these events are connected.
Have you had any further luck yet?
Roger

obuhosky is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows cannot update Error Code 80096001
Roger, I finally relented and did a huge backup of my system and restored everything to the factory installed settings. It did correct my problem but I still have no idea what happened...
Hope you have better luck than I did! I HATE doing system restores!
Regards, Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiawatha View Post
[...]

Oh dear - not something I look forward to!

Thanks
Roger