Disk Cleanup deleted driver files Vista Now Crashed

Windows Vista General

KANGATED is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disk Cleanup deleted driver files Vista Now Crashed
Hi Guys
new to the forum and desperate for some help if you can.
Recently Vista (Ult) advised low on disk space and wanted to do a cleanup.
Mistakenluy I allowed it to do this only to find it deleted thigns like compbatt.sys amongst other essential files from system32/drivers. Forget the fact that this is an unforgiveable thing for Vista to do under any circumstance the problem is I don't have some essential data (like outlook datafiles etc) backed up and they are on the vista drive.
I also have XP on the same machine and can boot it happily BUT it cannot access the datafiles I need from the vista partition.
I canaccess some files using Paragton Partiton Explorer and even import/export files from Vista (such as the system32 drivers directory etc BUT not the ones I need. Vista can;t repair itself using the CD it wants to do a reinstall which of course will kill alll the data ! H E L P !!!!!!!
I thought I might be able to access the files at the command prompt during boot from the DVD but get access denied on the "essential directories"
Please help - one file is for the taxman and he ain;t keen on waiting for me yet again !!

Thanks in advance

Ray
Greenvale Victoria Australa

KANGATED is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Disk Cleanup deleted driver files Vista Now Crashed
Well at the risk of becoming an expert on crashing my Vista instal, a lot of searching resulted in nothing I can do - data gone bye bye !
I did learn some valuable lessons about JUNCTIONS (aka shortcuts) and how to access a Vista install which is normally invisible to XP.
The latter was achieved by using something like Paragon Partition Explorer and then MOUNTING the drive which then made it available for browsing from a command prompt using FileCommander (which reminds me very much of the old dos Norton Commander). Anyway by doing that I can get to and move around the Vista partition butr as I said ALAS all data gone that I wanted.

Now the important thing. READ THIS ARTICLE BEFORE EVER EVER EVER (did I say it enough times) EVER USING DISK CLEANUP particularly if Vista says disk space is low .

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/se...-registration/

From what I can gather IF your registry is slightly screwy with regards to folder locations of temporary files etc it goes off on it's merry way and deletes whatever it thinks is approrpriate. In my case this included several driver files from System32/drivers as well ad My Documents, countless photos and spreadsheets.

And reading reports it appears this may also happen in some instances in XP however I have never had that (cross fingers).

Anyway I have now resorted to a year old copy of my outlook data (in XP) and will need to recreate some Tax files and spreadsheets. Ho Hum after alll these years (I started in the green screen dual floppy days of computing) things ain't necessarily got any better

Hope this helps those that may encounter similar problems