Vista SP2 will not Install(error 0x80070002),In Place Upgrade Repair Install

Windows Vista General

urlnts is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista SP2 will not Install(error 0x80070002),In Place Upgrade Repair Install
Posted this in Windows Forum also ,looking for any help as I am becoming totally fed up with these Vista Problems!My Problem Reports and Solutions is now longer than a novel and not one Solution has ever worked,but now Sp2 has made things worse ,if that's possible!

Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop,2G Ram,Vista Home Premium,32 bit,SP1 added,I am a novice with computers,forums.

Had a lot of problems(mostly blue screens,Wlan,Superfetch shutdowns) from day one but finally got Vista running fairly well,that is until trying to download SP2 through Update!It crashed computer ,erased restore points and Restart Repair would not work until I got lucky and did full reboot and finally got message errors Files Can't Be Found (0x80070002) and on other occasions (0x8007000D),!Microsoft Help gave the usual list of solutions that I had already tried ,from using Update Readiness Tool ,running SP2 from Disc that they were nice enough to send,to complete Uninstall of 3rd party Software,turning off services etc.!Then they said to run scan now from Command Prompt which failed to fix problem and said some files fixed but others were moved to (Found? )!After running Scan Now again as Administrator it still would not let me view files but somehow I got Notepad to open and it said something about CBS.logs?
So Microsoft finally said they will send Windows Vista Disc with Sp1 at no charge (which "surprise", Dell would not do)so I can do something called an In Place Upgrade Repair Install!Has anybody done this and does anyone have full instructions for doing an In Place Upgrade Repair Install,this is only link I found (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...-vista.html)it is old and not for 32 bit,and gives me pause and a million questions ,is my product key really still good ,will reactivating work,how long will this Install take ,do I need to watch whole install for prompts,what reconfiguring is needed,will my wireless connection be oK?I am new to this, quite nervous and wondering if I should just skip SP2 as everything else is now at least working ,is it just a bigger headache ....but then every couple of days I still get a bad crash and would like some stability?
Sorry for rambling post but that's just how I feel now after constantly working on this Dell ,Vista nightmare since I got it ...Mad ,Hesitant and Confused!Any links ,suggestions or personal solutions about Vista In Place Upgrade Repair Install would be greatly appreciated!Thanks for the help and patience,Steven.

gazzoid is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Vista SP2 will not Install(error 0x80070002),In Place Upgrade Repair Install
u could always try uninstall sp2 then download again,code 0x80070002 is a sign that files are missing from ur download

urlnts is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista SP2 will not Install(error 0x80070002),In Place Upgrade Repair Install
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzoid View Post
u could always try uninstall sp2 then download again,code 0x80070002 is a sign that files are missing from ur download
Thanks for reply,Sp2 never installed ,I even have an Sp2 disc and that will not install either!Vista has just been one headache after another!They tell me now to do In Place Upgrade to fix files so I ordered a Replacement Disc from Microsoft because my Dell Disc was pre Sp1(Dell was no help as usual,and I believe their computers are a big part of the problem)and now am going to try the In Place Upgrade to repair files so I can install Sp2!I am doing this Upgrade hesitatingly as Sp2 is the only big problem now and I don't know if its needed!Anyway ,my problem now is ...they say to put in no Product Key when I start the Upgrade with Windows Vista Replacement disc with sp1 ,but this disc came with a different product Key and I don't know which to put in for activation ?There are just too many hoops to jump through and problems for a 9 month old computer!

Thanks again,Steven(urlnts)

gazzoid is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Vista SP2 will not Install(error 0x80070002),In Place Upgrade Repair Install
sp2 frankly is nothing,only new change i found was bluetooth,uv'e probably downloaded most updates anyway,if sp1 was pre sp1 i dont think u can install sp2 ,youll need full sp1,u can download both,(if ur in the mood) get FULL VERSIONS as there r 2 of each windows update delivers around 45 kb whereas full is around 420 kb or more,saying that if dell was preinstalled pre sp1 thats there screw up and should give u a copy i reckon,(just a thought)