Vista service pack 2?

Windows Vista General

gazzoid is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vista service pack 2?
has anybody tried SP2,its now in the public domain and i was wondering if it works or full of holes,when i installed sp1 the updates & security updates came thick & fast,in total around 50-60 including 1 for sp2 which i dont have?
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Vista service pack 2?
I have not tried it because I now use the Windows 7 RC on my desktop. However I heard that the performance increases are hardly noticable and to not expect anything "Oh my God" wow. It is basically a collection of all the updates since SP1 and also a few other things like driver updates, native Blu-Ray support, and a few other things. Windows 7 RC is awesome! Just saying

gazzoid is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Vista service pack 2?
thanks,with my vista being pre installed,when it came to check for updates,65 downloaded, security,hot fixes and the rest,i'm guessing but it's probably close to sp2 and some of my updates were for sp2?
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Vista service pack 2?
The service pack is basically all the updates from the previous service pack or from the release. I think the only noticeable gains in SP2 are the native Blu-Ray support and a couple other things. They have released it to the members of the MSDN and also it has been reviewed by online computer magazines and all are saying to not expect a "Oh my god wow" preformance increase. Vista is pretty much doomed, Microsoft is focusing on getting Windows 7 right, and since I started using it from the public beta and now RC I am liking it very much.

gazzoid is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Vista service pack 2?
i,ve had a look at windows 7 and it looks pretty damn good,i don,t think its released till june 2010?i,ll just have to be patient and let microsoft get rid of the bugs for the the nxt year,hopefully its even more stable than previous windows xp,vista.sp2 only released end of april so i,ll leave it for now,thanks
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Vista service pack 2?
The RC just came out less than a month ago and is available for public download and use. Both 32 and 64-bit versions are available. I am using it on my computer and love it! "Reports" say Microsoft may ship as soon as October this year, however you know with reports and Microsoft, do not believe it until it is on computer machines or store shelves.

nepolean77 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista service pack 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzoid View Post
has anybody tried SP2,its now in the public domain and i was wondering if it works or full of holes,when i installed sp1 the updates & security updates came thick & fast,in total around 50-60 including 1 for sp2 which i dont have?
I have just moved from XP to Vista and finally have the service pack one updated and working could not bear to go through that again so will stay with SP1 for time been.
__________________
Chat with Single Women

Location: South Manchester, UK.
Wallace is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista service pack 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepolean77 View Post
I have just moved from XP to Vista and finally have the service pack one updated and working could not bear to go through that again so will stay with SP1 for time been.
Installed SP-2 yesterday. Not had any problems at all. Overall system/boot speed remains unchanged or at least any "improvements" are negligible.
__________________
Cracking Toast Gromit!

gazzoid is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Vista service pack 2?
i installed it myself and only change i say was for bluetooth
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Vista service pack 2?
Installed it on my laptop the day it was released and besides blue-tooth the performance gain is hard to see. However I did at least gain some hard disk space back which was a welcome surprise. But I mainly use my desktop with Windows 7.