OS_Install (C:) taking up all memory

Windows Vista General

watchtherocks is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OS_Install (C:) taking up all memory
I see that there is hardly anyone on these forums, but I'll try anyway.
The HD Vista is installed on (could be a partition) has taken up all 45GB available to it. There is not even enough space to install Windows updates. None of the programs I have installed are causing this problem, but for some reason I am unable to actually trace what is taking up all this space. System restore is set to off and all restore points have been cleared.
Hopefully this is a common problem with an easy answer, but havent been able to find a solution anywhere.
Thanks,
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: OS_Install (C:) taking up all memory
A fresh install of Vista should not take up more than 13-14 GB if that. Did you partition the drive properly? If you are sharing one drive you might want to check the overall free space of that drive. Did you upgrade to Vista or totally reformat? Nothing else is installed but a clean install of Vista?

watchtherocks is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: OS_Install (C:) taking up all memory
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk86 View Post
A fresh install of Vista should not take up more than 13-14 GB if that. Did you partition the drive properly? If you are sharing one drive you might want to check the overall free space of that drive. Did you upgrade to Vista or totally reformat? Nothing else is installed but a clean install of Vista?
The computer came with Vista pre-installed and the hard drive already partitioned. When I show hidden folders and check how much each folder on C: takes up, it totals about 30GB, with the most (10GB) being used by the ''Windows'' folder. C: has 46GB in total, so I've got no idea where the rest of the space is going. I clean install of vista really isn't possible at this time.
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: OS_Install (C:) taking up all memory
Is it possible that the second partition is a system recovery setup by the manufacturer?

watchtherocks is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: OS_Install (C:) taking up all memory
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk86 View Post
Is it possible that the second partition is a system recovery setup by the manufacturer?
I dont think so. One partition is C:, the one I install everything to, and the second one is 200GB that all files go to.

gazzoid is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: OS_Install (C:) taking up all memory
id go to conrol panel-system and maintenance-create partition etc and check to see if you have a partitioned install,was your pc pre installed?