Printer Preferences(Password)

Windows Vista General

jonathonv is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Printer Preferences(Password)
Okay so on my network system at work I cannot print to one of the main Printers which is a Konica Minolta 7145. All the computers at the office run on XP and which i assume the network driver is as well, now on XP computers they have a tab for in the printing preferences to type in a password for that printer. How do i/ can i set up Vista to be able to do the same thing...? Ive spent hours trying to figure out!!
PapaBear's Avatar

Location: S. Georgia
PapaBear will become famous soon enoughPapaBear will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Printer Preferences(Password)
Wow, this one is different. After working for a corporation with networked computers (starting with Windows for workgroups 3.11) for 13 years before retiring, I have never encountered a printer with a password.

First, I must assume from the tone of the question, that this is a small office and you are the system administrator by default and you set up the network. Is this correct?

If so, I must ask why you put passwords on computer access to a printer? (I have seen passwords required on color copiers, but never printers nor even the black and white copier.)
__________________
User of Vista since May, 07

jonathonv is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Printer Preferences(Password)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
Wow, this one is different. After working for a corporation with networked computers (starting with Windows for workgroups 3.11) for 13 years before retiring, I have never encountered a printer with a password.

First, I must assume from the tone of the question, that this is a small office and you are the system administrator by default and you set up the network. Is this correct?

If so, I must ask why you put passwords on computer access to a printer? (I have seen passwords required on color copiers, but never printers nor even the black and white copier.)

Yes it is a small business but the printer is set up with a password for all the agents/staff because everyone has to pay for their own copies. And yes.. Well we had computer techs set up everything when we first moved in i did not personall set it up but it was all designed for XP users.
PapaBear's Avatar

Location: S. Georgia
PapaBear will become famous soon enoughPapaBear will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Printer Preferences(Password)
You used the name Konica Minolta, is this an actual printer, or is this a copier to which you can send a print job?

You also state that the printer is in the office but you are trying to use the computer at home. Are you trying to send a print job from your home system over the internet to the office printer?
__________________
User of Vista since May, 07

Last edited by PapaBear : 03-24-2009 at 18:48.

jonathonv is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Printer Preferences(Password)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
You used the name Konica Minolta, is this an actual printer, or is this a copier to which you can send a print job?

You also state that the printer is in the office but you are trying to use the computer at home. Are you trying to send a print job from your home system over the internet to the office printer?
Correct, it is a copier in which you can send print jobs to. And no im not trying to send any printjobs from home over the internet to work. The Computer I currently use is a laptop w/ vista I take back and forth to work and home but printing at home is fine its just trying to print at work with the konica minolta model#745 I believe. On XP users in the print screen it has a preference tab which has another tab for adjust user settings that allows you to put in your username/password but its the same for both. The problem is Vista doesnt have that tab to my knowledge so how can I use the copier as a printer for my laptop?
PapaBear's Avatar

Location: S. Georgia
PapaBear will become famous soon enoughPapaBear will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Printer Preferences(Password)
You may have to contact the technician for the copier. This is not a standard properties for either XP or Vista and it could be a special feature that has to be installed.

I know that at work, we could sent print jobs to either the black and white copier or the color copier. The black and white had no direct user password and had no computer password. The color copier had a direct user password, but not a computer password.
User of Vista since May, 07