2 Vista pcs- 1 shares, other doesn't

Windows Vista General

ghiradelli2430 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 Vista pcs- 1 shares, other doesn't
I have Googled my @#$ off trying to find out the answer to my issue and am at wit's end. Long story short, here is the jist of my problem:

1 laptop, 1 workstation, both 64-bit Vista Ultimate on a Netgear wireless network. The workstation is harwired, laptop is wirless.

My issue is my desktop can see the laptop in "Network and Sharing Center" as well as the "Full Map" and can access anything that is shred just fine. The laptop can see my desktop as well but CANNOT access anything shared from the desktop. Is spouts off a "Windows Cannot Access \\computername" Error Code: 0x8007005.

The crazy thing is when the laptop was on 32-bit Ultimate, file sharing and printer sharing setup and worked like a champ. Ever since I went to 64-bit Ultimate, it has stopped working and I get this error ever since. All I really need is to get the USB printer attached to my desktop, to be seen and used again by my laptop.

I am not a network expert but am pretty familiar with the key terms and so on. Network Discovery is on, it is a private network which both machines are in the same workgroup, there is no password restrictions...I am out of ideas. I hate that you can see the desktop from the laptop on the network, you just get denied when trying to access it. To me that says the network is probably fine, but something is denying it for some reason.

All firewalls are off, Windows and Macafee...besides, they were on both machines when it worked too, so I don't think that is the asnwer, especially since the desktop has access but the laptop does not. ANYTHING I am missing or can try out there!!?? This is so annoying...is something maybe cached on the desktop from when the laptop was on 32-bit? HELP!!

Kirk
PapaBear's Avatar

Location: S. Georgia
PapaBear will become famous soon enoughPapaBear will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2 Vista pcs- 1 shares, other doesn't
Would you verify two things first - 1) The printer attached to the desktop is shared and that the printer has been installed on the laptop as a networked printer (not attached) and with the share name that you gave it on the desktop.

2) confirm that the user id and passwords for your user profile is the same on both machines.
__________________
User of Vista since May, 07

ghiradelli2430 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2 Vista pcs- 1 shares, other doesn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
Would you verify two things first - 1) The printer attached to the desktop is shared and that the printer has been installed on the laptop as a networked printer (not attached) and with the share name that you gave it on the desktop.

2) confirm that the user id and passwords for your user profile is the same on both machines.
That is just it...I never set it up that way in the first place. Originally, I just went to the laptop, clicked 'add printer' and it found my shared printer from my desktop and worked. I never created a new user on each machine to match the other. I just had each machine in the same workgroup. I can try this on each machine and see if it helps, but I never did this originally. As for the first step, it is setup on the laptop manually but still can't connect. Thanks for any additional help. At this point I feel hopeless and may end up getting a wireless print server for the future.
PapaBear's Avatar

Location: S. Georgia
PapaBear will become famous soon enoughPapaBear will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2 Vista pcs- 1 shares, other doesn't
When you say it is setup on the laptop manually do you mean it is attached directly to the laptop?

You did not say whether the printer had ever been marked as shared on the desktop or not. It is easy to tell if a printer has been shared as the icon is different than the normal printer icon, with the new icon having a small version of the people image (used on the users setup icon) in the lower left.

How does the printer normally connect?
__________________
User of Vista since May, 07

ghiradelli2430 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2 Vista pcs- 1 shares, other doesn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
When you say it is setup on the laptop manually do you mean it is attached directly to the laptop?

You did not say whether the printer had ever been marked as shared on the desktop or not. It is easy to tell if a printer has been shared as the icon is different than the normal printer icon, with the new icon having a small version of the people image (used on the users setup icon) in the lower left.

How does the printer normally connect?
No, the laptop has never had the printer attached to it...it has always been shared. It is shared properly through mydesktop as that is where it is attached. It is shared as 'Canon'. Like I wrote above, before the laptop reformat, it was fine and dandy being shared through my desktop. I just can't imagine why it won't share anymore....and really I can't get any access from the laptop to anything shared from the desktop since the reformat. Does that error above mean anything to anyone?

Last edited by ghiradelli2430 : 03-21-2009 at 17:04.
PapaBear's Avatar

Location: S. Georgia
PapaBear will become famous soon enoughPapaBear will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2 Vista pcs- 1 shares, other doesn't
Ok, lets go back to the basics.

First the folder and printer that you want to share must be setup as shared on the host computer. When you formatted and then re-installed Windows on the laptop which we will call the target computer, did you perhaps change anything in the naming of that computer and workgroup. Check the sharing status of both the shared folder and printer to make sure that they are marked for share. You can do this in Windows explorer for the folder and in the printer folder for the printer. Below is an image of the icons:

Figure 1 shows a printer that is not shared. Figure 2 shows a printer that is shared and Figure 3 shows a folder that is shared.

Also verify in the properties of each (click on share tab) that the user id you have on the laptop is shown in the list of authorized users to share the item, or that a line shows all users authorized. This is why I recommend than if you use john123 as your user ID on one machine, you use it on all machines.

Next - go to the laptop and boot it up. Now I had connected a 4 year old HP Photosmart 8250 to my main computer (P35DS3P) which is the motherboard model on the machine. If you will look at Figure 4 below, on the laptop in Windows Explorer under Network, both the laptop (dv9500) and the Desktop show up (along with my NAS). In addition under the desktop ID there are two shared folders, data and public. Data is the folder I shared in this exercise, and it also shows that at least one printer is shared. At this point it might be useful to make sure that you can move files back and forth into the shared data folder.

Next - to install the shared printer, go to the printer folder on the laptop and click on the add printer icon above the printer icons. This will then open the box shown in Figure 5 - and you want to click on add network printer. It will then go out and scan the network for network attached or shared printers. It is critical at this point that the host computer is on as is the printer. The shared printer HPPS8250 on my network showed up in seconds as did the network attached printer, the PS C6100 AIO (wireless). Click on the printer you want to install and in a few seconds it should come up with figure 7 listing the name of the printer and the fact that it is installed. Then the icon shown in Figure 8 should show up showing that the printer is on the network.

You may also have to authorize the laptop if you have a firewall set on the desktop, and if you have the outbound firewall set on the laptop, you may have to authorize the desktop on it.

If this does not work, post back and we will keep at it. Both my machines were Vista Home Premium 32 bit, but I can't image Ultimate 64 bit is different. I think it was the fact that the HD in the laptop was formatted and then Vista re-installed.
User of Vista since May, 07

ghiradelli2430 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2 Vista pcs- 1 shares, other doesn't
fgdfgdfgdfgfdgdfgfdgfdgdf
[...]

OK...sorry for the delay in replying but I have actually figured this out. I appreciate all of your steps and advice and to be honest everything was setup the way it should be as far as sharing and printer installation and so on. What the deal was when I originally created a user on the desktop pc (when I first put the pc together) it was, let's say "User1". Well, I changed the user name to something different, let's say "User2" a while back but the profile name stayed as User1. So, even though I was logging in now as User2 into Windows, my profile name was still listed as User1 and therefore, the laptop was apparently not able to talk to it and the printer over the network.

So, what I did was backup my User1 folder, deleted the original User1 profile in User Accounts, created a new one with User2 as the name and then copied my contents from the old profile folder into the newly created one. This sucked because I had to setup a lot of things from scratch like sidebar gadgets, visual settings, shortcuts, Outlook, and so on. Luckily though I backed all that up and could easily "reinstall" my entire profile so to speak. BTW, I am not sure what that "copy to..." option really does in the user account menu. All it seemed to do was place my shortcuts on the desktop like I had them...everything else was not the way it used to be visually and so on.

All in all the fix was to create a new user, backup my existing user data, delete the old user, and then transfer my backed up data into the new user profile and "Wal Lah!" I had a shared printer instantly and I could access the laptop and its shared folders and both pcs were talking again. I think this must be a bug in Vista because I fooled around with it before I did all this and when I created a new user in User Accounts, logged out, logged back in and then changed the name again...the profile name never updated (the "Configure advanced user properties" option), it stayed the same. So, this must be a glitch in Vista or at least in Ultimate 64-bit. Just doesn't seem like the profile name is matching the user name even when logging out and back in a few times. So, hope this helps someone else out there one day. Thanks for the help PapaBear!