Battery Falls Out, Windows Doesn't Load

Windows Vista General

technoob09 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Battery Falls Out, Windows Doesn't Load
Laptop in question: HP Pavilion DV2000, running Windows Vista Home (I think 32-bit).

Today, I was using my laptop, running on battery power only. Unfortunately, the battery no longer locks. I moved the laptop and the battery fell out. Naturally, as was not plugged in to an external power source, my laptop shut off.

Upon re-inserting the battery (as well as plugging in the laptop to an external power source for good measure), I received the "Windows Error Recovery" screen, presenting me with:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Start Windows Normally

I tried "Start Windows Normally", and after a loading screen (Microsoft Corporation at bottom), then the screen went black. I could see the mouse on screen, yet Vista would not boot up.

I manually shut down my computer and this time selected "Safe Mode": same thing, loading screen, then screen goes black with mouse, Vista does not load.

I then hit F7 to get to the "Windows Boot Manager" and then F8 for "Advanced Boot Options"

Repair your computer
Safe mode

Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Enable boot logging
Enable low resolution video (640 × 480)
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)

Directory services restore mode
Debugging mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure

Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
Start Windows normally

1) I tried the options in bold and the same thing happened each time: loading screen, then screen goes black with mouse, Vista does not load:

2) I was told that Vista creates restore points automatically at regular intervals (around every 24 hours of use) as well as whenever updates are installed. So I was surprised that when I went to System Restore, I HAD NO RESTORE POINTS...!? So I got stuck there.

3) I then tried to acess "Startup Repair" by inserting the DVD that came with my laptop. However, mine is a "Recovery DVD" and did not have the option for "Startup Repair", only to recover the entire system. So I got stuck there as well.

4) "Repair your computer" then brought me to "System Recovery Options", where it gave me the options:

-"To access recovery options log on as a local user."
-"To access the command prompt as well, log on using an administrator account."

5) For the heck of it, I even did the diagnostic that checks the hard drive for error (found under "Windows Boot Manager"), and when I came back to see what had happened, it had completed and restarted the computer.

I really don't want to lose my files...