RAM Usage

Windows Vista General

a5ado is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RAM Usage
It seems to me that my base RAM usage is 40%. This is when I restart computer and everything is nice and fresh. (Although this is still pretty High but whatever). After I have had my computer on for a while (I hibernate it), the RAM usagengoes up to around 50-55% and stays there. The only reason for this that I can think of is that when I quit programs, it doens't clear the RAM it used, and just leaves garbage lying around. So basically I got all this garbage memory using up my RAM. Is there something I can do about this? Is there someway to dump your RAM, or maybe clean it up? Without of course stopping the computer from working, or restarting. I'm thinking maybe there could be a program of sorts that decides which programs are running, what programs all of the RAM is assigned to, then clears the rest that isn't doing anything. I don't know all that much though, so this could be wrong but whatever.
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: RAM Usage
First question is are you using Vista 64-bit? Because 64-bit will use at least a gig and a half or so to just run. Second thing is hibernation uses memory to run too.

a5ado is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: RAM Usage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk86 View Post
First question is are you using Vista 64-bit? Because 64-bit will use at least a gig and a half or so to just run. Second thing is hibernation uses memory to run too.

Yes, I am using vista 64-bit, and I realize that this uses RAM. And hibernation uses memory, but not RAM. When I startup my computer (after shutting down) the RAM usage is at about 36 - 40% which is a gig and half. My problem is that if I open a couple of programs, maybe play a game, do whatever, and THEN exit out of everything - why does the RAM not go back to 40% ? I'm pretty sure it is because programs are leaving behind "garbage" when they quit. Is this the case and if so, how can I fix it?
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: RAM Usage
No, why it does that is 64-bit Vista no matter what uses 1.5 GB or so of RAM to just run, even when idling. I am using 64-bit Vista Business and it does that too. That is why it is recommended to have at least 4GB now of RAM with new machines coming out because as technology advances 64-bit I feel will play a bigger part. Also the max 32-bit can use is 3.5 GB RAM.

a5ado is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: RAM Usage
I realize that vista 64bit uses 1.5 gigs. When I have every program closed (thus returning to the initial idling state) my computer should only be using 1.5 gigs (to run vista). HOWEVER, it stays up at more than 2 gigs. Clearly this isn't because vista needs to use more RAM the longer you have it on. So why?
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: RAM Usage
Well if it still remains at above the 1.5-1.6 usual amount of RAM 64-bit uses then I would say you have something running in the background then. Perhaps a anti virus or a security program or a defragmentation program.

a5ado is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: RAM Usage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk86 View Post
Well if it still remains at above the 1.5-1.6 usual amount of RAM 64-bit uses then I would say you have something running in the background then. Perhaps a anti virus or a security program or a defragmentation program.

GOD YES I realize this! Please stop responding since you clearly do not know what I need, or what I am asking. Look at it this way: my computer is running at 40% ram. THEN I open the internet. THEN I close the internet. THEN I open up Word. THEN I close word. AND THEN, my computer is running at 60% RAM. Now that's not exactly what happens, but my point is that after opening a bunch of programs, then closing those same programs, the RAM doesn't erase and go back to 40%. QUESTION: Is there a way to clear the RAM that isn't being used by a program that is currently running. OR is there a way to close the programs running in the background doing jack ****.
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: RAM Usage
I understand you seem to be frustrated...but you do not need to be rude to someone who is just trying to help. Fine...good luck.

mainstone_media is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: RAM Usage
Hi,

This looks like it might be a fairly old thread... worth a shot though.

I understand exactly what you're saying here. I have the same problem myself. Had the problem before I put more RAM in my machine and am determined to fix it since it still happens and don't want to endlessly be forking out for new RAM.

Here is a post I put on the overclockersclub website today:

Dear All,

I have a machine I have built my self, quad core with 4Gb of ram. I frequently use Photoshop and Lightroom for photo editing. Other than that I only use Google Chrome, Microsoft Outlook, iTunes....etc.

My main problem is that Lightroom doesn't work as fast as I would like. It can be quite gittery sometimes and it can take a few seconds to do simple things like spot removal.

I have noticed that when my computer starts up only about 20% or ram is being used. Then after running the usual stuff it gets to about 60%. After you close all the programs down it will stay around 60% and will only fall after a program like Lightroom has used about 2Gb then closed down. This strikes me as strange??

I am also not sure why the list of running processes in the Task Manager never sums to the amount of ram being used. Is there a reason for this? Is there any program I can use to tell me where my ram is going?

If it is simply that 4Gb is not enough anymore, then I'll just get another 2Gb....

Your help is massively appreciated.

Thanks,

Fion

I know this is no answer to your problem but maybe this may generate some interest again and our problems will be solved by someone in the know!

All the best,

Fion