Save programs without original CDs

Windows Vista General

maine is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Save programs without original CDs
I just bought a Sony with Vista and it came with no CD/DVD. That probably explains the price <g>

My concern is the HD is 250GB and I want to partition it and put vista on one a 20GB, Win XP Media on a 50GB, then have a couple partitions for files, photos, videos, etc.

The problem is how do I save the programs on the notebook. Vista only offers the option of srink or expand and neither is sufficent for my purpose. I'll have to format the hard drive, partition and reload Vista and these programs. But how can I do that without the original CD/DVDs?
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Save programs without original CDs
I am not understanding what you mean?

maine is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Save programs without original CDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk86 View Post
I am not understanding what you mean?
I recently bought a Sony notebook (NEW..I specify that because some folks think that because I don't have the CDs its used.). anyway...I bought the Sony it didn't have any CDs with it. I want to format it put Windows XP Media on one Partition/Vista on another/a partition for files and one for videos.

It came with Vista which I have to keep or lose my warranty, but I don't like Vista. Using Shrink simply doesn't allow me to have the size partitions I want. I've tried that already.

The Sony came with a couple programs loaded I'd like to save and re-install but don't know how. I have a Vista disk from my Dell XPS 720 Desktop (they installed it even though I specified I wanted Windows XP Media. That's how I was allowed to removed and install XP without losing my warranty). So, I have that disk to re-install Vista on the Sony but not the cool programs.

Is there a method of doing that?
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Save programs without original CDs
Cool programs? I understand you want to partition your Sony and install Vista on one and XP Media on the other. But as far as installing Vista I am not sure what programs you are talking about. But yes as long as you have the install disc for both Vista and XP then yes you can install the dual-OS.

maine is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Save programs without original CDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk86 View Post
Cool programs? I understand you want to partition your Sony and install Vista on one and XP Media on the other. But as far as installing Vista I am not sure what programs you are talking about. But yes as long as you have the install disc for both Vista and XP then yes you can install the dual-OS.
New issue...Vista refuses to allow me to format the HD so I can reinstall on a clean disk. I don't want/or need all the extra junk Sony included on their install and Vista is too restrictive with the Shrink/expand option. I want one partition for Vista one for WinXP Media and one for Files&Videos. With a 250GB HD that gives ample space for all that, if only Vista would allow me to format the drive. Unlike Windows XP which permited me to do what I wished with my own computer.

Anyone know how to get past the Dragon's Gate (Microsoft's Vista)?