Do I need this ?

Windows Vista General

CP24 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do I need this ?
The Windows auto update just notified that ".NET Framework 3.5 SP 1" is ready to be downloaded....
Q. If I am not a programmer nor I need the .NET Framework to do anything, do I need this SP1 ?
Any help/suggestion would be appreciated !

Thanks in advance
The Following User Says Thank You to CP24 For This Useful Post:

JimB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Do I need this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP24 View Post
The Windows auto update just notified that ".NET Framework 3.5 SP 1" is ready to be downloaded....
Q. If I am not a programmer nor I need the .NET Framework to do anything, do I need this SP1 ?
Any help/suggestion would be appreciated !

Thanks in advance
This means that .Net framework 3.5 is the latest one in the .Net Framework series. Back in the good old XP days, I remember I was still using the .NET Framework 1.0, because the .NET Framework 2.0 needed SP2 for XP. I didn't wan't to upgrade to SP2 so I couldn't get the .NET Framework 2.0. Some programs need the latest .NET framework. At that time I couldn't use some programs because they relied on .NET Framework 2.0 In your case it might take a long while before we see programs appear that rely on that latest 3.5 .NET Framework. If so, you will see a warning that 3.5 .NET isn't installed. That may take another year I guess, for the obvious reason progammers don't trust these new MS things. So programmers will still be building programs that rely on a previous .NET version. I'm not sure however if you can get SP1 without the 3.5 .NET I would recommend you the SP1 though... But don't expect your Vista to go faster.

Last edited by JimB : 02-04-2009 at 03:44.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimB For This Useful Post:
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Do I need this ?
If it is a update chances are the original .NET Framework 3.5 is on your computer. This framework is required by some programs to run, so I would say to go ahead and update it. You never know when or what may need it. I am not a programmer either, but I installed it because of the fact some things need it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrk86 For This Useful Post:

JimB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Do I need this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk86 View Post
If it is a update chances are the original .NET Framework 3.5 is on your computer. This framework is required by some programs to run, so I would say to go ahead and update it. You never know when or what may need it. I am not a programmer either, but I installed it because of the fact some things need it.
If it's installed I'd say leave it, because things that work on an older .Net framework will still work on a newer version, but usually programmers don't jump that quickly on this MS train of novelties and upgrades. And are they right ? For 500% of course.

CP24 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Do I need this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
If it's installed I'd say leave it, because things that work on an older .Net framework will still work on a newer version, but usually programmers don't jump that quickly on this MS train of novelties and upgrades. And are they right ? For 500% of course.
Thanks for the reply.
MS keep pumping out upgrades and patches with files size so large that HD space is consumed fast, for example :
I have a 120G divided into 80 and 40 in my year and half old notebook, I only installed Vista and MS Office plus some other small programs like Adobe PDF reader and Realplayer....but now C: already in 60% usage...I am sure soon enough that I need to increae the C: size to accommondate more updates, not to mention the Vista SP2..
Thats why I don't want to install anything thats not needed.
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Do I need this ?
I am the same way with not installing something I know I do not need or will not use. Like with Office 2007, I installed just Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Publisher because I find myself just using them the most. I agree where updates are getting big. For my NVIDIA graphics card for example, the latest driver update is 100MB.

JimB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Do I need this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk86 View Post
I am the same way with not installing something I know I do not need or will not use. Like with Office 2007, I installed just Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Publisher because I find myself just using them the most. I agree where updates are getting big. For my NVIDIA graphics card for example, the latest driver update is 100MB.
On notebooks you can safe quite some space by deleting MS Office and Norton and most preinstalled stuff you don't need. MS Office can be replaced by other programs like Ashampoo Office and Norton is way too big and slow. Removing those and your good for a year of MS updates I guess. Also remove the Update uninstall packages, c'se when are you gonna want to uninstall an update ? Remember also that you can safe quite some space when you're using the build-in cleaning facility and choosing for removing all restore points except the latest. At the same time you're removing all the shadow copies that this Vista OS always makes.

Last edited by JimB : 02-28-2009 at 05:20.
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Do I need this ?
Sun's OpenOffice is also another free Office alternative. Yes deleting all the system restores but the most recent can free up a lot of space. I in fact just disabled the system restore. Removing all the bloatware is a good way to free space, of course usually what I do is use one of those programs that automatically uninstalls most if not all bloatware from your machine. If you are worried about security there are some free good programs out there. I agree that Norton is way to overbearing on system resources and also does slow everything down.

CP24 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Do I need this ?
Thanks for sharing points to save HD space with us.
Interests me the most is removing the update uninstall package...where do I find and how to remove them, are all updates has uninstall pack ?

JimB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Do I need this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP24 View Post
Thanks for sharing points to save HD space with us.
Interests me the most is removing the update uninstall package...where do I find and how to remove them, are all updates has uninstall pack ?
In your Windows folder there are many files that start with KB followed by 6 figures and an extension log, log.txt, dpx, log.perf these files contain the install information of the updates. I'm not sure if it's tested on Vista Remove Windows Update Uninstall Information It's possible it doesn't save much space. I use this script to clean up my Prefetch folder in Windows from time to time http://img101.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_467lo.jpg Copy the text in notepad, save it and rename the extension from txt to bat. Give the bat file an appropriate name like Prefetch Cleanup.bat Double click the file and your prefetch folder will be nearly empty. Use this to remove just your temp files http://img20.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_550lo.jpg

Last edited by JimB : 02-28-2009 at 23:09.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimB For This Useful Post: