Missing Recent/Frequent Programs from Start menu

Windows Vista General

alegna=angela is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Missing Recent/Frequent Programs from Start menu
I have Vista Business. My problem is that the recent programs is not showing up on the start menu. Please do not confuse this with recent documents, this is working fine. When I click the start button, I only have Internet explorer and Microsoft Office Outlook. Below that is blank until the All Programs list. I have checked all the obvious stuff. Right click on the start button, properties, check "store and display a list of recently opened programs", click customize, make sure that 9 (default value) is showing. I've changed this number to 0, restarted, changed it back to 9, restarted, nothing shows up after opening and closing programs several times. I've checked the startmenuinit in the registry to make sure it's value is 3, it is there and it's 3. I've tried other things too that I cannot remember.
Any Suggestions please?
Angela

Mikey62 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Missing Recent/Frequent Programs from Start menu
I have the same problem. I have tried everything that I know to get these programs to show back up. It must be a registry key has become corrupted but I do not know which one it is. I hope someone can help us. Thanks!

alegna=angela is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Missing Recent/Frequent Programs from Start menu
I posted this back in December before Christmas I think. This is the first response that I've gotten. I'm sorry you're still having the problem. I finally just re-installed windows (Fresh Install). I really wanted to avoid that and I know it's not really a solution either. Good luck finding a solution. If you do fix yours, I'd really like to know how, so please post. And also, if anyone else has the problem, they would find a solution here.

Mikey62 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Missing Recent/Frequent Programs from Start menu
OK here is the solution.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced in

the D_Word Start_ShowRecentDocs

I didn't extensively test, but I found mine to be at 2 and setting this value to 1

seems to have brought all my recently used programs back to my start menu. (You

will have to logoff / logon to fully reset this registry key to make it work)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikey62 For This Useful Post:

alegna=angela is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Missing Recent/Frequent Programs from Start menu
Thanks for posting this fix. If it ever happens to me again I will try it. I'm sure that someone out there will find this useful. I searched for days looking for a solution and then resorted to posting here. If anyone tries this and is successful, please post back.
MelissaGuzz's Avatar

Location: Costa Mesa, CA
MelissaGuzz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Missing Recent/Frequent Programs from Start menu
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna=angela View Post
Thanks for posting this fix. If it ever happens to me again I will try it. I'm sure that someone out there will find this useful. I searched for days looking for a solution and then resorted to posting here. If anyone tries this and is successful, please post back.
I have had the same problem with my Vista Start menu not showing recently used programs, even tho' I have it set to do so.
I tried going in to the Registry as Mikey suggested, but I only get as far as the Advanced folder, and do not see D_Word Start_ShowRecentDocs. So I'm still stuck!
Melissa
MelissaGuzz's Avatar

Location: Costa Mesa, CA
MelissaGuzz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Missing Recent/Frequent Programs from Start menu
BTW, recent programs DO show up while the computer is continuously turned on, but they disappear as soon as I Shut Down or reboot.
MelissaGuzz's Avatar

Location: Costa Mesa, CA
MelissaGuzz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Missing Recent/Frequent Programs from Start menu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaGuzz View Post
BTW, recent programs DO show up while the computer is continuously turned on, but they disappear as soon as I Shut Down or reboot.
Just found the fix in another part of this forum - and it worked! I had to create the StartMenuInit entry in the Registry