error message 1810

Windows Vista General

Jonny.P is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
error message 1810
Hi,

I have installed Adware 2007, in fact I am a paying customer.
It has been working beautifully since April when I installed it.

However, suddenly last week it stopped working. The message "System error 1810 has occured Service is not online Application terminates" is displayed.

I have tried to uninstall it but can't.

I have read on other forums that this can happen when installing for the first time. Noone has mentioned that this can suddenly occur.

My only thoughts on this are that I had some windows updates automatically downloaded and installed at around the same time adware stopped working.

I have tried various things. e.g. checking that DEP is on.

I have run out of ideas!

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Jonny.P

Marigoldey is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: error message 1810
Jonny.P,

I don't have any real suggestions for you, just wanted to commisserate--I, too, had Ad-aware (2008 free version) working just fine for several months, then all of sudden this week, it stopped working, giving me the 1810 error message. When I look online to find help, I see that you should go to services.msc or whatever and choose to stop it. Well, it didn't even appear in that services box.

What I did was un-install the program, and went to download.com to download the free version AGAIN. I successfully downloaded it, re-booted, ran a scan and then tried to run another scan--no error message.

Why did the error message all of a sudden come up like this? I firmly believe it is what you said--automatic Windows updates had occurred which were somehow incompatible with the Ad-aware. Unfortunately, you indicated you could not un-install yours and try re-installing. Have you tried posting your problem on lavasoft support?? GOOD LUCK!

Jonny.P is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: error message 1810 and Ad-aware
Hi Marigoldey,

Thanks for your reply and moral support.What you wrote was very helpful.

As I said , I had problems uninstalling Ad-aware. I even tried to do it manually but without success. I finally solved the problem by turning off the user account control.

Lavasoft had sent me a "backup" cd, I tried to re-instal it but a message popped up stating that the installation had ended prematurely! So I did what you did and downloaded a free version from download.com. Urika! it worked!

I ran a scan and then turned on the user account control. No 1810 error message everything is working as it should. Great! Although very wierd but life is like that too!

Thanks again

Jonny.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigoldey View Post
[...]

So glad to hear it is working for you.

I am new to this forum, so I don't know exactly where to post questions. If you have time, answer a couple things for me, will you? I think they relate to our little thread.....

1) Why do you have to adjust the user account controls? How do you get to these and do they have to do with all the pop-ups in Vista ? (maybe I am confusing issues here...)

2) You mentioned the automatic Windows updates. Do you know if there is a way to control these "automatic" updates? I have had many problems since allowing my HP notebook to update a BIOS something-or-other. Icons are now missing from my toolbar and I had the problem with Ad-aware, which I believe is related to this BIOS update. These update "suggestions" or even automatic updates seem to be more problematic when I am at the coffee shop on an unsecure connection. If I am on a secure connection, the HP "suggestion" software that analyzes the health of my machine and suggests updates, does not seem to be a problem. Again, maybe I am confusing several issues. ???

Any help would be neat-o!

Margioldey

Jonny.P is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Ad-ware/error 1810/user account/updates
Hi Marigoldy,

I will try to answer your questions. However, the funny thing is, I am new to this forum too. In fact this was my first post but isn't it great how these forums work. I posted my question by going to forums then choosing a topic that suited my question, clicked on it and used the new thread button. I think this is how you are supposed to do it.

The reason I turned off the user account control is because every time I attempted to uninstall Ad-aware the "Windows needs your permission" box popped up which of course it should do. Finally there would be a pop up that said I hadn't authorisation to uninstall. This is weird as It is my computer. anyway turning of the user control worked but I don't know what caused the problem.
- User accounts is in control panel

You can change the settings for your automatic updates in Updates in Control Panel. The problem is however, if you select manually which updates you recieve you still have to know what you are doing in selecting which to accept and which not to. I think this form of control is better though. It may not have stopped me having the ad-aware issue though.

Perhaps if you post a question about automatic updates you may get a discussion and some more concrete answers to your questions than I can give.

Good luck and thanks again.

Regards,