How Do I Enable Autoplay For All Users?

Windows Vista General

nottmb is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How Do I Enable Autoplay For All Users?
I need to enable AutoPlay (in VISTA) for all users on some public access PCs that are locked down using Group Policy. The users need to be able to insert a movie DVD and view the movie using PowerDVD without having to choose PowerDVD from a menu. Whenever I configure the AutoPlay for the admin account, it works just fine; however, when I then log off and log back on with a user account, AutoPlay fails to play the movie DVD using PowerDVD and instead displays the menu that asks the user to choose which application to use to view the DVD. How can I make the configuration to automatically play a DVD using PowerDVD to affect all users?

serpentracer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: How Do I Enable Autoplay For All Users?
good question. out of curiosity I've tried it to mine.
the only way I can see is by changing those settings for each user by logging in to each account. the parental controls don't have the option either. it just mainly blocks internet access etc and programs access.

I also don't see a way to prevent them from changing them back or to something else.

there has to be a way.

what version of vista are you using? I've been looking into this and it appears vista home basic and home premium are lacking a thing called "local user groups". which may have a way to control what you want to do.

Last edited by serpentracer : 12-14-2008 at 14:35.

nottmb is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How Do I Enable Autoplay For All Users?
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post

@ serpentracer: Vista Ultimate. As for local user groups, I attempted configuring a local user's AutoPlay to execute PowerDVD; next I copied that profile to the Default profile. Vista didn't like that. I'm not sure if that has to do with ownership of folders & files and permissions, but I don't advise trying that unless you're prepared to do a lot of repairs or a system restore, which might not work either.