Local Only? microsoft problem 947041

Windows Vista General

amydaveg is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Local Only? microsoft problem 947041
Hello, I have seen other posts on this problem but wanted to know if there was a solution.

I am using windows home premium on both a wired computer and laptop and continue to get intermittant "local only no internet" at home on both computers when using a Actiontec router with Verizon Fios (they supply it)

I do not get this problem with the laptop in public places.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I see it is an on going problem with microsoft and windows.
Microsoft MVP Member

Jacee will become famous soon enoughJacee will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Local Only? microsoft problem 947041
Have you called your ISP about this? What happens when you right click on the icon in the task tray, then click on 'Diagnose and Repair'?

Also, have you read this article?
The network connectivity status incorrectly appears as "Local only" on a Windows Server 2008-based or Windows Vista-based computer that has more than one network adapter
__________________
MS-MVP Windows-Security 2006 ~ 2009

amydaveg is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Local Only? microsoft problem 947041
I tried calling the ISP many times and they got to the point that I should just switch to cablevision or another company so i can use a different router.

When Click on the task tray, and right click the X, it says windows did not find any problems with your internet connection.

The Actiontec support blamed microsoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Have you called your ISP about this? What happens when you right click on the icon in the task tray, then click on 'Diagnose and Repair'?

Also, have you read this article?
The network connectivity status incorrectly appears as "Local only" on a Windows Server 2008-based or Windows Vista-based computer that has more than one network adapter
Microsoft MVP Member

Jacee will become famous soon enoughJacee will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Local Only? microsoft problem 947041
Did you read the article that I linked to in my last post?
__________________
MS-MVP Windows-Security 2006 ~ 2009

amydaveg is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Local Only? microsoft problem 947041
I did but i am not sure how i can tell if there is more than one network adaptor connected to both these computers. As far as I know i don't. My ISP verizon said I am not behind a proxy whatever that means.

How can i check for the network adaptors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Did you read the article that I linked to in my last post?

serpentracer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Local Only? microsoft problem 947041
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydaveg View Post
I tried calling the ISP many times and they got to the point that I should just switch to cablevision or another company so i can use a different router.

When Click on the task tray, and right click the X, it says windows did not find any problems with your internet connection.

The Actiontec support blamed microsoft.

if your laptop is wireless and has a jack on it that is the same as the one you hardwire the network to then it has 2 network adapters. it's typical to have 2 network adapters in a laptop.
if your other computer is a desktop well, you would have a little antenna in the back. (like a cordless phone). if it doesn't, and it just has one plug for a network cable, then you have one network adapter.
there is a way to look into the device manager in the control panel to see if you have more than one. but for simple sakes, I skiped that. (or if you want us too, just say so someone will be more than happy to show you how)

I like how verizon puts the blame on microsoft because they don't know how to resolve your problem

I don't have any experience with your setup. I assume you have a modem, and then a wireless router.
which you have one hard wired to the router and the laptop uses a wireless signal. are you experiencing this problem with both computers?

My internet connection for a while was doing just that. it was a problem on the ISP's end. they admitted it to me. but knew about it and was working on the system.
I honestly suspect you are having the same problem just verizon isn't saying or don't know of the problem.

Last edited by serpentracer : 12-06-2008 at 01:14.

P)o9I*u7 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Local Only? microsoft problem 947041
To identify multiple network interfaces: Start - Control Panel - Network and Internet (only if classic view is NOT turned on) - Network and Sharing Center - (on the left) Manage Network Connections

I've run into the same problem with a Vista system at my work. If I assign a static IP address, it works fine, DHCP = no Internet. DHCP is AD integrated but the Vista system is not in the domain (could be an issue). In my case I have one NIC showing in the Network Connections window but If I type ipconfig, I see "Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6" and "Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7". Not sure where these phantom devices came from.

It would be interesting to hear if a static address makes yours work.

amydaveg is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Local Only? microsoft problem 947041
How can i create a static IP address? This is a home computer connectec to verizon FIOS ISP? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by P)o9I*u7 View Post