Peer-to-Peer (Local LAN) Network woes

Windows Vista General

dleddy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peer-to-Peer (Local LAN) Network woes
Having seen a number of posts in these forums and newsgroups, my problem may not be unique, but seems different from the others I've read. Background - I have had a 3 (windows XP) computer network all hard-ethernet cabled to a router/hub [Linksys WRT-54G] running without problem for about 3 years. This month, I had to replace two of the computers with Windows Vista equipped computers. I simply cabled in NIC, set new IP addresses for the computers, and we were off and running -- maybe not; sometimes; definitely not; etc. When the network disentigrates, some of the computers can be coaxed back into to displaying the entire network collection in the Network folder, but others refuse to see any computer (including self). Sometimes after rebooting everything, the network will be up and running, and then sometime during the day disentigrate. The funny part is that each computer can ping each other computer at any time, and printer sharing between the two Vista computers does not seem to be affected. In the Network and Sharing Center, 'mapping' seldom works, ending with this failure message: "Windows cannot create the network map. Responses from other devices on the network are delayed or there is an incompatible router on the network." The router also is connected to broadband internet connection, and all computers use the internet without problem. Has anyone faced this situation and resolved it?

dleddy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Peer-to-Peer (Local LAN) Network woes
To add some information. Today I UNINSTALLED the HP J6480 network printer (which gave me huge problems trying to install properly) from all the computers on the network. The network has been up and stable for about 8 hours now. I have my fingers crossed that the printer was the source of the problem (also had reservations about the enormous amount of resources and network bandwidth the printer was using).

michaeltw is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Peer-to-Peer (Local LAN) Network woes
On the Vista systems are you seeing errors 2017 or 2021 in the event logs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleddy View Post
To add some information. Today I UNINSTALLED the HP J6480 network printer (which gave me huge problems trying to install properly) from all the computers on the network. The network has been up and stable for about 8 hours now. I have my fingers crossed that the printer was the source of the problem (also had reservations about the enormous amount of resources and network bandwidth the printer was using).

dleddy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Peer-to-Peer (Local LAN) Network woes
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltw View Post
On the Vista systems are you seeing errors 2017 or 2021 in the event logs?
If the place I am looking (Event Viewer) and the thing I am looking for (Event ID = 2017/2021) is correct, then, no. Some further information on the continuing saga:

Although the stability was improved, it was not permanent, nor completely effective. In working with Microsoft Support technician, we have narrowed the basic problem down to the Firewall, even though I had all of the ports, IP addresses, and applications listed in the "Allow" category. When I shut the (AVG) firewall off, and turned on the Windows firewall, not only did the stability of the network improve, but the discovery process now finds and lists all the computers (if on), the network printer (LEXMARK 7600), and shared "media devices". As it turns out, the discovery and listing in the Network folder is only a part of the story. Functionally, the hardware was working, and network connections could be made using the addressing \\computer1\public format. Could also ping any computer from any computer.

Another thing I learned was that to be successful and to avoid password dialog boxes, each computer should have an account for each person using one of the computers, and that the password for each such account be the same on all of the computers. Thus "Joe" on computer1 could connect to shared resources on computer2 if it has an account "Joe" with the same password as on computer1. This is because the first attempt to connect uses the signed on account of the local computer to send to the remote computer as the credentials for connecting.

Of course, having a password then requires entering it when logging on -- except there are mechanisms for autologon (for a selected primary account) both in XP and Vista. This makes the overall process transparent.

The discovery process still is not 100% perfect, but it is at 99% or better. If this continues for another week, then Microsoft has done its job, and I'll turn to AVG for further resolution. Apparently, third party firewalls, and other drivers can easily adversely affect the communication and discovery process. Oh, and to further complicate things, the "View Full Map" option in the Network and Sharing center still refuses to work.
--Some additional Information:
Based on many similar forum entries across the internet, determined that Windows XP machines needed an update to install LLTP responder in XP, but when the install says you don't need it because it is a part of SP3 -- don't rely on it. Search out the 'hotfix', and manually install per instructions (mine came with name indicating version 6 of the hotfix is current). After installing this on 2 Windows XP SP3 systems, the entire network now is mapped with the "View full map" option on the Network and Sharing Center page.

Last edited by dleddy : 11-30-2008 at 22:55. Reason: add additional information