Virtual Ethernet Adapters

Windows Vista General

vistaroo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Virtual Ethernet Adapters
Hi,
I'm now running Vista x64 Business and I've got some networking issues. which I need to resolve or unfortunately change my OS again.

I've got two problems which might be related. they might as well not be because I'm no expert on either networking or Vista, but I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out. So here's the first problem:

I'm trying to run Kubuntu Linux x64 as a guest OS on my Vista host using VMware Server 2. The Setup of the virtual mashine and the guest OS went smooth, and i can work with the guest OS with one limitation: I just cant get the virtual mashine to acces the hosts (vista's) network adapter.
The virtual mashine is configured to have a virtual ethernet adapter which the guest OS actually can access, but it seems the Vista host does not.
shouldn't I be able to see such a virtual ethernet device listed under "control panel -> Network Connections"?
(which would then be connected to the virutal switches provided by the vmware software?)

when i looked through my device manager i found that after the installation of VMware Server 2, vista added several 6TO4 devices with those yellow signs indicating a problem with the device. i dont really need ipv6 by now, and i dont know if these are connected to my problem.
maybe i could try disabling the IPv6 capability of Vista all together, but how would i do that? and would it help?

now to my second problem:
I'm trying to connect to my university's network using openVPN. (unfortunately the only support i could get there was a cheap laugh for using vista in the first place :-( )
again: i set the software up correctly but it seems to have failed to create some sort of virtual ethernet adapter.
when i try to connect i get the error message:
There are no TAP-Win32 adapters on this system. You should be able to create a TAP-Win32 adapter by going to Start -> All Programs -> OpenVPN -> Add a new TAP-Win32 virtual ethernet adapter
obvilously i've tried that but without success.
I'm using OpenVPN 2.1 RC13 which explicitly supports Vista x64, so i figure there must be a way. its just that i have no clue what to try right now. any help would be greatly appreciated.
if there is more specific information to be provided by me, let me know.