What Price Customer Loyalty

Windows Vista General

Loyal is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Price Customer Loyalty
What price Customer Loyalty?

After many years of upgrading using various Microsoft Operating Systems and other Microsoft software I have spent a considerable sum on Microsoft products but my recent experience shows this doesn't cut any ice with this arrogant and mercenary company. I hope my experience listed below will help potential customers truly evaluate whether they really want to invest in todays or future Microsoft products.

I recently decided to purchase for my wife a laptop with Vista Home Premium and also upgrade my current XP desktop to Vista Ultimate in the knowledge that should my desktop motherboard fail shortly after the purchase I would under Microsoft rules have to buy another license of Vista Ultimate. At the time my loyalty to Microsoft was such that I thought I'd risk it. I also decided to upgrade my 2002 version of Office to 2007 and bought the 2007 Home version which fortunately unlike the operating systems could be used on up to three computers.

In my naivety I thought the 2007 version would be an improvement on 2002 and would contain an upgraded version of Outlook with as before the email, contacts and calendar facilities integrated into one program. I should have read the small print as Outlook is not included in Office 2007 Home version although other programs you'll probably never use are. I had therefore purchased two operating systems and the three PC version of Office Home at a total listed cost on Microsoft's site of nearly £380 to find I hadn't even got a decent integrated email, contacts and calendar program.

Vista does have separate programs for these so I thought I'd put up with using them separately and tried to import my calendar items into Windows Calendar to find Microsoft had altered the file type so this was not possible thereby forcing the purchase of Outlook 2007 which I considered but then found this program was only licensed for one computer and I would have to buy two licenses at another £160. The alternative was to buy an Office upgrade of Home to Office 2007 Standard but this is another £200 and I already have all the 2007 programs except the Outlook program.

I therefore tried to install Outlook 2002 from my previous Office 2002 suite to find that Microsoft had altered Vista so that once the Outlook 2002 program is closed it loses my email passwords. So much for my previous loyalty. This is all in addition to the fact that on Vista my TV card will not work and neither will my Family History Program.

I have emailed Microsoft twice in the last month and been totally ignored. Is it any wonder that companies like Dell are offering Linux systems on their laptops. When you load Vista, Microsoft ask whether you are prepared to allow them access to your computer to improve their information and they promise no misuse of your data. I had typed this letter previously onto a flash drive ready to send and found this morning that the only file on the flash drive that had corrupted was this letter. This is a retype using Open Office part of the free Linux Ubuntu operating system which also by the way includes Evolution Email an integrated email, contacts and calendar program.

Someone at Microsoft needs to realize that there is a recession going on and at the end of the day it's the customer who has the last word.

Loyal?