Some Vista machines can't navigate company webpage but some can

Windows Vista General

curtis5746 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some Vista machines can't navigate company webpage but some can
Hi,

We have some computers running Vista with Explorer 7 that can't open links on the company web site (www.conartinc.com). If I right-click on one of theses links and look at the file properties, the file paths shows the files as being gif files rather than html files. Many of the links were originally jpeg files that were converted to html files by Publisher. However, when trying reach the address that the link should be pointing to on the webpage, nothing happens when we left-click on it. If we right click on the link, the property for the link shows the path to the file and shows the file as a gif file instead of a htm or html file. Even the file names themselves aren’t correct. It's as though something is interpreting the path incorrectly.

Another Vista machine running Explorer 7 and one running IE8 open the links just fine with no problems at all. Right clicking on the links with these machines show the links’ file extensions to be html files, not gif files as is the case with the other machines.

XP Pro machines (SP2 & SP3), all running either IE 6 or IE 7 have no problems with the links of the website, and if we right click on a link with one of these computers, the files are shown to have htm extensions.

In all cases, the website appears correctly; it's just the links do not work with some of the Vista IE 7 machines.

The website was created using Publisher, but I don't think that is the cause of the problem since it works fine on most computers - both at work and away.

Actually, I don't know if this is a Vista issue or an IE issue. All computers are running AVG antivirus.

What we are looking at is the company's website on the Internet hosted by an outside provider. When we open the web site on the Internet and try to navigate to the various information contained in the website (pictures, testimonials, contacts, etc.) the links fail to open and will not go to the intended location in the web site. Again, this has only been seen on some Vista boxes running IE7 and now Foxfire. Other Vista machines and all XP machines (with IE6, IE7, and Foxfire) work fine and have for a couple of years now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

curtis