USB not recognized?

Windows Vista General

jibaro is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
USB not recognized?
This has become very upsetting, when all the devices except for my thumb drives fail to load.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Re: USB not recognized?
Hi Jibaro,

try this solution....

1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
2. In here you should see at least one folder called usbstor.inf
3. If there is more than one Open the most recent dated folder.
4. Copy any pnf and inf files from this folder to C:\Windows\inf.
5. Go to the update driver wizard.
6. When asked for a location point to the C:\Windows\inf folder.

See how this goes,

regards

Steve

jibaro is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: USB not recognized?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hi Jibaro,

try this solution....

1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
2. In here you should see at least one folder called usbstor.inf
3. If there is more than one Open the most recent dated folder.
4. Copy any pnf and inf files from this folder to C:\Windows\inf.
5. Go to the update driver wizard.
6. When asked for a location point to the C:\Windows\inf folder.

See how this goes,

regards

Steve

Sorry to take so long to reply. Unfortunatly your suggestion did not work. I am open to any and all suggestions. At one time it did work.

thanks
jibaro
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Re: USB not recognized?
Hi jibaro,

I am not sure if you have this update from MS ( Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista ) but you can install it anyway and see how it goes. It might refresh the USB area for you?

regards

Steve

jibaro is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: USB not recognized?
This update does not apply to my system.

jibaro,

I am not sure if you have this update from MS ( Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista ) but you can install it anyway and see how it goes. It might refresh the USB area for you?

regards

Steve[/quote]

Glenisha is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: USB not recognized?
The USB drivers are part of main chip set drivers. The first time you install Windows, or if you have re-installed Windows from scratch since, you must load the mother board main chip set drivers in order for Windows to have the proper info about mother board, including the info about USB controllers.If the drivers haven not been loaded, your USB 1.1 may be recognized and work fine, but if your mother board has USB 2.0 it will probably not work. In that case if your newer flash drive and USB connected hard drive require USB 2.0, they will not work.
Glenisha