How To Change OS Info In System Properties

Windows Vista General

vatoman is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How To Change OS Info In System Properties
I am looking for someone to Assist me in doing this. Im not looking for general setting and adding logos in the System area in middle. Just up top in windows edition area. I have made my own Custom OS and just want to name it what I like. Ive seen this done with other custom OS builds and am very interested in getting this done. I know it a registry setting, or a system file that needs to be changed. Ive tried some of the obvious location in registry and syscpl. None of those seem to have that info. This one is hidden a lil deeper. Thanks for the help.

Hearsepilot is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How To Change OS Info In System Properties
Here's mine

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"CurrentVersion"="6.0"
"RegisteredOrganization"="Roadkill Cafè"
"RegisteredOwner"="Steve Sweet"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\OEMInformation]
"Manufacturer"="Sweet Success"
"Model"="Beelzebub"
"SupportHours"="24 Hour Support"
"SupportPhone"="07920875615"
"Logo"="C:\\user_images\\Reaper 2.bmp"

Hearsepilot is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How To Change OS Info In System Properties
There's a random space in the 2nd "CurrentVersion" that needs to be deleted, strangely its not there if i click edit post!

vatoman is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How To Change OS Info In System Properties
You help is appreciated however I am not talking about the area your referring to. I can do this part just the other is what im having an issue with.

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/%3C...%22%3E%3C/a%3Ehttp://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/vatoman78/?action=view&current=Capture.jpg" target="_blank">

vatoman is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How To Change OS Info In System Properties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearsepilot View Post
Here's mine

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"CurrentVersion"="6.0"
"RegisteredOrganization"="Roadkill Cafè"
"RegisteredOwner"="Steve Sweet"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\OEMInformation]
"Manufacturer"="Sweet Success"
"Model"="Beelzebub"
"SupportHours"="24 Hour Support"
"SupportPhone"="07920875615"
"Logo"="C:\\user_images\\Reaper 2.bmp"
That area im familiar with however the sceenshot below is where im talking about. It can be done as Ive seen others do it.

Hearsepilot is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How To Change OS Info In System Properties
Oh i see, surely thats filled in by the windows installer as and when SP's are installed!

XLR8OR is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How To Change OS Info In System Properties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearsepilot View Post
Oh i see, surely thats filled in by the windows installer as and when SP's are installed!
Here's how to change the "Windows edition" information in the system properties dialog box:

Here's what you need:
1) ResHacker (Google it)
2) Courage to tinker with your system files

Here's what you do:
1) After downloading ResHacker, open and run the program.
2) Once open, select FILE, then OPEN
3) Navigate to C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US
4) At this point you should be inside the "en-US" folder
5) Look for the "basebrd.dll.mui" file (if it does not appear, change the Type of Files option to "All files (*.*)"
6) Double-click or open the "basebrd.dll.mui" file"
7) Click the + symbol to expand the "String Table" folder
8) Click the + symbol to expand the "1" folder
9) Click on "1033" (the code will then appear on the right side of the window"
10) Simply edit the text as you desire, but don't get rid of the quotation marks. (I would only edit lines 11, 13, and 14... Editing lines 10, 12, 15, etc, doesn't do anything"
11) You'll notice that once you make a change or edit the text, the "Compile Script" box at the top makes itself "clickable." Therefore, once you completed typing in/editing the information, click on COMPILE SCRIPT once.
12) Finally, select FILE, then SAVE AS...
13) Navigate back to the same location of the original "basebrd.dll.mui" file and save over your original file (Using the same file name, extension, etc) (You might need to select to change the Type of Files to "All Files (*.*) as mentioned earlier.

****NOTE: If you are paranoid about screwing something up, then make a backup copy of the "basebrd.dll.mui" file and save it to your desktop. You can put it back later if this hack does not have the effect you desire.

Thats it! Hope this was easy to follow.

P.S.
WindowsXP=Not bad
WindowsVista=Better but with big bugs
Windows7=Better but with little bugs
Windows8=Best for now
But be on the lookout for WindowsXLR8=Cutting Edge (Sssshhhh! The revolution is coming!)

Good day guys!

-XLR8OR-

john1701 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How To Change OS Info In System Properties
Actually editing lines 10, 12 and 15 changes the "about Windows" information.
Open "computer" and have "show file menu" on btw.
click "help" then click "about".

Hope this helps.

Last edited by john1701 : 04-04-2009 at 21:48.