Vista Erratic Keyboard H E L P

Windows Vista General

Vista newby is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista Erratic Keyboard H E L P
I have a new Toshiba with Vista. Two weeks and I still have problems using the keyboard. There is no way to tell where it will jump next. It sometimes jumps back into a word that I previously typed and sometimes it jumps into another cell to start something there. I called Toshiba, their idea is for me to run the software to recover settings. Of course now I have to set this thing up again with all programs and you know the pain I am sure. Does anyone else have knowledge of this problem.
I am an old lady not a ****y bopper and I don't want to have to go through all this again, Please reply

Location: California
emarell is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
might be the touch pad's action
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista newby View Post
I have a new Toshiba with Vista. Two weeks and I still have problems using the keyboard. There is no way to tell where it will jump next. It sometimes jumps back into a word that I previously typed and sometimes it jumps into another cell to start something there. I called Toshiba, their idea is for me to run the software to recover settings. Of course now I have to set this thing up again with all programs and you know the pain I am sure. Does anyone else have knowledge of this problem.
I am an old lady not a ****y bopper and I don't want to have to go through all this again, Please reply
Sounds like me with my new Toshiba, at first. It had nothing to do with the brand, with Vista, or with any software etc. It was this: I'd not used a laptop before, with its Touch Pad. I have a familiar external mouse connected, you see, and had no idea you were supposed to deactivate the Touch Pad. As my hands kept bumping into the Touch Bar's two chrome over-bars or just tapping on the surface of the pad itself (I discovered that Touch Pads have certain reactions to taps of certain rhythms... who knew?) this would control the cursor in addition to what I was doing deliberately with my mouse and letter-key-strokes. Made my typing, iffy at best, worse than ever!

All righty then, how to shut off thaT Touch Pad... on a Toshiba at least, look for a key marked FN ("function"), next-to-leftmost in the bottom row. When held down, a row of diagrams should appear across the top of the screen. This row represents some of the keys in the top row of the keyboard and shows what those keys do while the FN key is being held down. In my model, the combination FN + F9 turns the Touch Pad on or off. You need "off" whenever you've got a mouse connected.

-Another geezer type

Location: California
emarell is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ummm, just sent a reply (not yet visible online) referring to chromium "over-bars" of the Touch Pad. My mistake, sorry, they're "under-bars" - I guess meant to be operated by thumb. I like a good old mouse and probably will not be mastering the Touch Pad.