Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

How do you "unhide for multiple folders"

Windows Vista General

Speedup My PC
Old 03-01-2008

IydKLsa is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys,

I use Vista for LOTS (10000+) of photos and have a folder that was customised to "Pictures and Videos" template and I ticked the "also apply this setting to subfolders" (about 500 of them)

However when I go into these folders all the file names are hidden by default.

I know that I can go into View > Hide file names and untick this to show the filenames but I can't make this setting be the defaults for all sub folders.

Pictures and templates is the only setting that is actually useful for looking at mulitple thumbs in a variety of file types and names.

Can someone please advise how I can have all the sub folders updated so that all my pictures can still be ordered by date taken and show the file names and not have me manually change this "hide file names" for about 500
directories. Also when i create a new folder I have to make this one "unhide file names" too even though it's parent has this setting already changed.

This wasn't a problem in XP as the setting 'hide file names" was part of the options for "apply these settings to all sub folders" however Vista looks to have taken away most of the control over folders and replaced it with a generic "this is the only way you can have it" setting.

I enjoy my Vista and want to use the file structure provided (rather than a memory hungry app like picasio or adobe pic bridge)

I'd love some help with this. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2008

crazlunatic will become famous soon enough
I'm not too sure what you're talking about but I'll tell you about a feature you might want to look in.

Right click the folder you want to work with and choose customize this folder. You can then pick which template you want to follow and have it apply to subfolders. Let me know if you've fixed your problem.
Old 12-15-2010

JLGarciaPh is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you "unhide for multiple folders"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazlunatic View Post
I'm not too sure what you're talking about but I'll tell you about a feature you might want to look in.

Right click the folder you want to work with and choose customize this folder. You can then pick which template you want to follow and have it apply to subfolders. Let me know if you've fixed your problem.
AGAIN, How do you "unhide for multiple folders"

From 3-1-2008
IydKLsa

Hi Guys,

I use Vista for LOTS (10000+) of photos and have a folder that was customised to "Pictures and Videos" template and I ticked the "also apply this setting to subfolders" (about 500 of them)

However when I go into these folders all the file names are hidden by default.

I know that I can go into View > Hide file names and untick this to show the filenames but I can't make this setting be the defaults for all sub folders.

Pictures and templates is the only setting that is actually useful for looking at mulitple thumbs in a variety of file types and names.

Can someone please advise how I can have all the sub folders updated so that all my pictures can still be ordered by date taken and show the file names and not have me manually change this "hide file names" for about 500
directories. Also when i create a new folder I have to make this one "unhide file names" too even though it's parent has this setting already changed.

This wasn't a problem in XP as the setting 'hide file names" was part of the options for "apply these settings to all sub folders" however Vista looks to have taken away most of the control over folders and replaced it with a generic "this is the only way you can have it" setting.

I enjoy my Vista and want to use the file structure provided (rather than a memory hungry app like picasio or adobe pic bridge)

I'd love some help with this. Thanks guys.

How do you "unhide filenames for multiple folders?"

This same issue has come up for me, but only for certain folders, thank goodness.

I have about 6 terabytes, total, of image files on my PC and server, and about 40% have suffered from the "disappearing filenames" problem , starting about 48 hours ago, for no apparent reason. This happened to me a few years back on an XP machine, and I was able to GLOBALLY change the template.
In Vista, I seem to have to change this parameter for the affected (infected?) folders every time I reboot, individually.
How may I GLOBALLY and permanently (unless I actually want to reset the parameter - heaven only knows why).

I have my server RAID drives divided into A-M and N-Z for my convenience, and only the N-Z folders seem to be affected by this problem - a further puzzlement.

Is there a way to clean this up, permanently?
Many thanks to anyone who a real answer to this.