Cannot View Pictures or Video

Windows Vista Business

Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tim_Tech_One is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cannot View Pictures or Video
Okay. I'm going to try and make this as short and to the point as possible.

I'm running Vista Business on a Lenovo laptop with dual monitors, split by a port replicator. I'm not using the laptop monitor, just 2 separate monitors that are attached to my port rep. One DVI, one VGA.

My problem is that I cannot view any pictures in Windows Photo Gallery and I cannot view any video on any player that I use.

More details of problem:

Photos - I can view pictures (this is all formats of pictures) on IE, Firefox and picture software, such as Photoshop, Irfan View, etc. but I cannot view them on Windows Photo Gallery. When I open a picture to view Windows Photo Gallery will open fine, with no errors and the file name of the picture displays in the top left corner, but the only thing that appears, is the captured background. So if I open it in front of my desktop, thats what it displays, the portion of my desktop that is directly behind the window. I can move the window around and the captured background remains in the frame.

Video - I cannot view any video, no matter the format and no matter the player. I've downloaded and used numerous players and so far nada. I can hear the audio as if it's playing, but there is nothing but a black window. No colorful designs moving around to the audio, just pure black nothing. I can view video over the net on IE and Firefox only, but with any players open by windows.

Fixes Tried so far:
I've update all video and audio drivers.
I've rolled back, uninstalled and reinstalled all video and audio drivers.
I've uninstalled every program that I've installed since this issue has occurred.
I've shut down all anti virus related programs to make sure nothing is blocking a vital file from running.
I've ran Windows Live Onecare to check for registry errors and it found none.
I've ran numerous other programs searching for registry errors and other errors and nothing.
I've reinstalled and uninstalled all codecs.
I've checked to make sure all processes are running and I'm pretty sure they are.

I'm new to Vista. I've only been using it for about a year, so I dont know if a process that is needed was maybe stopped or if a registry key was change, or who knows what else. If anyone could help or even give suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Oh and I tried to keep it short. Didnt work though.