problems setting up a home network

Windows Vista Business

Flying Scot is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
problems setting up a home network
I am trying to set up a small home network but having some difficulties – it does not work - I have done everything I think I should have done but still it does not work.

OK what I have is two desktop machines DT (1) and DT(2) running XP Pro I think with SP2 – dont think I have SP3 and a nice four port O2 wireless router which seems to be a Thomson Telecoms product and lovely new and shiny New Toshiba Tecra M10 running Vista Business. I am running ZoneAlarm as my firewall.

At the movement my main DT PC (1) is the only XP PC connected - obviously using Cat 5 cable and the Toshiba Laptop is also connected using Cat 5 cable. I did the XP set up a home network wizard and that seemed to be OK. I have set both the DT (1) and the LT to be on the same workgroup and on the DT (1) when I go to My Networks and then workgroup I can see (icons for) both the DT (1) and the LT.

I have multiple LARGE drives on the DT (1) and this is why I want the other DT (2) machine on the network to use as a fileserver – i have what must be close to a trillion pictures that i want to sort out - the work of a lifetime and a lifetimes work and i still have years of negatives to scan and sort I will then move all (apart from one) HDD’s to the second DT (2)

When I click on the DT (1) icon I can see the drive that I set up sharing on and i can expend that and see all the folders and files.

When I click on the LT icom I get a time out and an error message

LT PC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to see if you have access permission.

The network path was not found.

When I go to the LT PC and look at my network I can only see the LT PC in the top section (workgroup name) (1) and two icons for the router that is identified as a SpeedTouch 780 in the next section unspecified (2)

As I have set two drives for sharing I can see them OK when I click on the LT icon

SO I can see the LT on my DT (1) but cant access it – on my LT I cant see my DT (1) I can see network drives but only on the local machine not across the network.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLP Please

Thanks in anticipation

David

Last edited by Flying Scot : 10-16-2009 at 14:56.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flying Scot For This Useful Post:

Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tim_Tech_One is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: problems setting up a home network
Well all of the DT, DT 1, DT 2, LT stuff got a bit confusing and Im not sure if I'm following your correctly here, but I'll give it a shot.

So over your network, you can see LT pc, but you cant access the drive? If that's a correct interpretation of the short novel that you wrote, then you have a permission problem.

Usually firewalls will block you completely and you wont even be able to see the PC because the firewall does not reflect the ping that is sent out.

I'm also assuming that the LT pc is the new shiny one with Vista installed. So lets start here.

Hop on that LT pc and follow the directions below.

Double Click My Computer
Right Click C:\ Drive
Click Properties
Click Security
Click Edit
Click Add
Type in the name of the PC that you would like to be able to access it
Click Check Names
if PC name is found Click OK

Now.... Make sure the PC name of the other PC is highlighted and check each allow box to grant permission for that pc.
Then Click OK

That should do the trick. If not, come again and I'll take you another route.