Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 - I can't delete it!

Windows Vista Business

tonyryan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 - I can't delete it!
I have the weirdest problem!

I have Internet Explorer 8 and downloaded the latest version of Beta 2 from Microsoft. When I try to run it I am told that there is an earlier version of Internet Explorer 8 on the system and that I must remove it. When I try to delete, rename, move or do whatever to the file iexplore.exe I am told that I don't have permission, even though I am the administrator.

I then thought of a quick way around the problem and decided to download Firefox from Mozilla. The problem gets even weirder, as when the file downloads, it is nowhere to be seen, so I cannot run it. I have even tried downloading it to an external memory stick, but it just disappears after the 7Mb download finishes!

The initial problem started when I tried to open Internet Explorer recently and found that it simply opened and then immediately shut down again. Failing that it would open, a message would appear saying that it was not responding, and then Windows would shut it down.

I am running Windows Vista Business Version 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack One. My version of Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 is 8.0.6001.18241.

I have an awful feeling that this is a virus of some kind, but cannot find anything when I run all the AVG products on my system.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Regards

Tony

tonyryan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 - I can't delete it!
Just to update you - I managed to download Firefox from another PC and then load it onto mine via a memory stick, but I still have exactly the same problem with Explorer 8 as before. Any ideas?

Regards
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 - I can't delete it!
You cannot offically "delete" Internet Explorer because it is integrated into the Vista operating system. However you should be able to roll back to IE7 via either the add/remove programs and uninstall IE8b2 and it should roll back to IE7, or if really desperate to remove IE8 and rollback you can always use the system restore to restore your system to a point before installing IE8b2. Also I believe you can uninstall Microsoft updates via the updates window, but I have only heard that and never tried it myself.

somn22 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 - I can't delete it!
Hello guys...

I have tried to delete it from my programs file, but it tells me that it cannot because it is being used by another application...By using Opera now until they get it fixed, but I would like to be able to get rid of it & go back to IE7 if anyone has any suggestions. Thank You...
internet monitoring