remote connection problems

Windows Vista Business

quattromike is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
remote connection problems
Hi all
I have run remote desktop connection between my laptop (Vista business) and PC (XP) with no real problems since April this year. Both machines are Dell.
A couple of days ago when trying to connect remotely to my PC I got the message 'The client could not connect. You are already connected to the console of this computer. A new console session could not be established'
Having looked around the web I think I can follow what the problem is but have not found any answers to get me back up and running, There was one from a University which went way beyond my understanding, so was just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and solved it? If they would share the resolution with me I would be most grateful.
If all else fails I will resort to loading the laptop with XP professional but would prefer not to do this as it will involve considerable work.
I would have thought MS would have an answer to this problem!!
Thanks for any help/comments

alegna=angela is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: remote connection problems
This sounds similar to a problem I was having. I was failing while connecting from Vista to server 2003. This worked for me. Good luck. let me know if this was helpful.

When a user establishes a Remote Desktop connection to the server this connection will remain active until the user selects "Log Off" from the Start Menu. As such, if a user simply closes the remote desktop window when they're finished with the server, that username will remain logged on.
The software running on the server to facilitate the Remote Desktop connection will allow for up to two simultaneous administrative sessions.
If a third attempt is made to login to the server, the error discussed here will be shown to the user, and they will be unable to complete the login process.
To get around this error and log into the server, you can log into a special session call the Console Session in order to Log Out the other connections.
To do this, simply type the following in a Start - RUN or Command Prompt.

mstsc /v:00.00.00.00 /console

Replace 00.00.00.00 with your server's IP Address. [your remote machine in your case]

This will connect you to the Console Session on the server. Please use this session to only properly terminate the other two active sessions.
The Following User Says Thank You to alegna=angela For This Useful Post:

quattromike is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: remote connection problems
Thanks for the information - I did manage to resolve the problem just before I recieved your reply. I did something similar but not after re-installing the Dell back up to install the operating system on the laptop, which had no affect. I presumed that the problem was with the PC not the Laptop, so bagan to look at that end. Out of frustration I changed the IP address in the remote logon screen which then prompted for username and password. As the Ip address username and password did not exist it through me out and so I reverted back to the proper IP addresses. I was again asked for a username and password. On entering the correct data I was logged on and have been since. I guess it has the same affect as your method, but at least I am up and running. The only drawback was that restoring the op sys as it left the factory meant that I have had to update Vista by a host of updates, not all worked and at one point froze my machine and nothing would get me out of it. I have had this before and both Dell and MS could not get me out of it as I had no access at all. I resolved that by removing the power supply (not really recommended) battery emulating a power failure and on boot up allowed me to access the machine (just like pressing F8 on bootup). MS stated that it was the fault of the virus software (supplied via Dell) and it should have been turned off for updates!! (where does it tell you this and a coleague who works for McAffee says this is not the case!!) Dell of course denied any responsibility, but neither of them could help me!
Once again thanks for the advice