Local Only Wireless, but not really?

Windows Vista Business

JMayerDesign is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Local Only Wireless, but not really?
Hello, a couple of days ago i downloaded and installed the automatic update for Skype to Skype 3.8. For the first time Skype could not connect. Skype tech support had me temporarily enable telnet to test port 80 and another typical skype port. Prior, they had me remove skype and all skype registry keys. Then I installed a internet explorer add on that allows for searching for words while typing similar to firefox. I was watching streaming video and the computer froze up. so i shut it down and restarted, only to have the internet connection go full, then drop to "local only" I examined the hardware and none of the devices are having problems. So i tried resetting the router, updating router firmware, resetting TCP/IP settings, probably every solution i could find for this sudden problem. I did notice when the this first was starting i had usb adaptor driver problems, but that is reinstalled now too, i even reinstalled network drivers and checked for updates just in case. But I'm out of solutions now and I need help.

I will add that I can connect to Windows Live Messenger, Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client, QQ messenger, Google Talk, and now after putting the newer skype beta i can connect to skype. but for some reason i cannot browse the web, and cannot connect to yahoo or windows update server. The Vista computer seems to think it is a local only connection, but it seems it really isn't, but maybe having difficulty accessing ports. I am wondering if this can be a missing file problem or registry issue.

I want to also add that I can ping yahoo.com. Also, i can connect to K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filtering and Parental Controls Software in my browser. i have tried disabling the antivirus, and i've made sure there was no firewall up.
I don't want to do a repair install of windows if not necessary.

The vista system is a Sony Vaio VGN-FE890.

Please help me!

Last edited by JMayerDesign : 07-08-2008 at 06:41. Reason: more info

droid5998 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had similar problems with a VAOI and VISTA combination. At airports I would sit next to people with their Dells getting internet connection and the Sony would say "local connection only". At home I would get Local Connection Only for this machine while another XP unit and Mac connected perfectly.

So far (touch wood) I have not had problems since re-installing the wireless driver from the Sony website.

John